The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

by Maggie O'Farrell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by allbookedup of Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on 8/6/2007
Journal Entry 1 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Monday, August 6, 2007
Bought in Dublin

Journal Entry 2 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Tuesday, August 7, 2007
Synopsis
A significant departure for Maggie O''Farrell in terms of maturity and style, the paperback publication of THE VANISHING ACT OF ESME LENNOX will be an unmissable event. Set between the 1930s,and the present, Maggie O''Farrell''s new novel is the story of Esme, a woman edited out of her family''s history, and of the secrets that come to light when, sixty years later, she is released from care, and a young woman, Iris, discovers the great aunt she never knew she had. The mystery that unfolds is the heartbreaking tale of two sisters in colonial India and 1930s Edinburgh - of the loneliness that binds them together and the rivalries that drive them apart, and lead one of them to a shocking betrayal - but above all it is the story of Esme, a fiercely intelligent, unconventional young woman, and of the terrible price she is made to pay for her family''s unhappiness. This is vintage Maggie O''Farrell: an impassioned, intense, haunting family drama - a stunning imagining of a life stolen, and reclaimed.

Journal Entry 3 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Sunday, November 25, 2007
a really good read; the way Esme's story unfolded was fascinating and kept me interested the whole time.

Journal Entry 4 by allbookedup at Aera in Wien Bezirk 01 - Innere Stadt, Wien Austria on Sunday, November 25, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (12/4/2007 UTC) at Aera in Wien Bezirk 01 - Innere Stadt, Wien Austria

English BC Meetup

Journal Entry 5 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Friday, December 7, 2007
Picked up at the English BC Meet-up.

I have read all the books by this author except this one. The write up didn't appeal to me as much as her other books so I have always hoped to find a copy on sale or through Bookcrossing.

I will read this sometime soon...my tbr pile is quite high though ;)

Journal Entry 6 by Amberkatze at Ronahi in Wien Bezirk 07 - Neubau, Wien Austria on Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (9/1/2009 UTC) at Ronahi in Wien Bezirk 07 - Neubau, Wien Austria

Releasing at the English Bookcrossing Meet-up!

----------

Dear Finder,
Congratulations on finding this book! I hope you enjoy it. I'd be thrilled if you took the time to let me know what you will be doing with this book once you've read it by making a journal entry.
Please note that joining bookcrossing.com is anonymous & free!
kind regards,
Amberkatze

Journal Entry 7 by HallCaine at Wien - irgendwo / Vienna - somewhere, Wien Austria on Friday, December 10, 2010
Picked up at the December English Bookcrossing Meetup in Vienna. Now off to the Haydn Kino.

Journal Entry 8 by kalafudra at Wien Bezirk 06 - Mariahilf, Wien Austria on Saturday, January 1, 2011
Picked up at Haydn cinema. Very likeable read.

ETA: January 12
If anybody wants to have it directly, contact me! If I don't hear anything, I'll release it into the wild in a week or two.

Journal Entry 9 by kalafudra at Haydn Kino (ehem. OBCZ) in Wien Bezirk 06 - Mariahilf, Wien Austria on Thursday, April 12, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (3/19/2012 UTC) at Haydn Kino (ehem. OBCZ) in Wien Bezirk 06 - Mariahilf, Wien Austria

Released in the Bookcrossing Corner of Haydn Cinema.