Buddhism: A Very Short Introduction

by Damien Keown | Religion & Spirituality |
ISBN: 0192853864 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Vroomfondel of Shipley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 7/13/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Vroomfondel from Shipley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 13, 2007
Amazon.com description:
"This Very Short Introduction introduces the reader to the teachings of the Buddha and to the integration of Buddhism into daily life. What are the distinctive features of Buddhism? Who was the Buddha, and what are his teachings? How has Buddhist thought developed over the centuries, and how can contemporary dilemmas be faced from a Buddhist perspective? Words such as 'karma' and 'nirvana' have entered our vocabulary, but what do they mean? Damien Keown's book provides a lively, informative response to these frequently asked questions about Buddhism."

I found this interesting, and not quite as heavy-going as the other Very Short Introduction books I've read.

The biography of the Buddha was interesting, as was the history of the 'religion' (and if you read the book, you'll find out why I put religion in single quotes there!). I found some of the concepts that Buddhists adhere too hard to grasp. However, the book does succeed in being an introduction.

BookrayThe book has reached the last person on the ray, so consider it closed. If you want to read it, then PM the person who currently has it and ask them nicely!

Participants (so far):
1. sweetybeans (USA, would prefer US shipping)
2. H-HEAD (USA, will ship within the US)
3. nynjagrrrl (USA, will ship anywhere)
4. likestoreadinFL (USA, will ship anywhere)
5. Kimmi (Canada, will ship anywhere)
6. LeishaCamden (Norway, will ship anywhere) <--- here (4 February 2008)
7. clw204 (UK, can only post to the UK) [Update Jan08: clw204 appears not to be on BC anymore]

Journal Entry 2 by sweetybeans from Cottage Grove, Oregon USA on Wednesday, August 1, 2007
just received in the post today... will read and pass along ...look forward to expanding my knowledge.. thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 3 by H-HEAD from Fairfield, Ohio USA on Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Received in the mail today. I will read very soon!! Thanks

Journal Entry 4 by H-HEAD from Fairfield, Ohio USA on Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Finished today. Thanks for letting me be part of the ring. I agree, the book is very sucessful as an introduction. I had already read many books on the subject and still found this informatiove. I am emailing the next for their address.

Journal Entry 5 by nynjagrrrl from Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, October 3, 2007
I got this in the mail today. Thanks for sending it.

Journal Entry 6 by nynjagrrrl from Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, October 16, 2007
This was a very enjoyable book. I am planning on sending this book along with Siddhartha to the next reader. I am looking forward to read more short introductions.

Journal Entry 7 by likestoreadinFL from Fort Pierce, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Was in my mailbox this afternoon, along with a "bonus" book :-). Looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 8 by likestoreadinFL from Fort Pierce, Florida USA on Saturday, December 15, 2007
I am quite glad I read this. It definitely helped me have a better understanding of Buddhism. I teach World History, and it comes up in class. I've never been able to give a much better explanation than the textbook, and now I feel that I can.

Journal Entry 9 by Kimmi from Kelowna, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, January 9, 2008
This arrived yesterday but we had a huge snowfall and the internet was down. Thanks for letting me be part of this ring!

Journal Entry 10 by Kimmi from Kelowna, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, January 22, 2008
I enjoyed this and learned quite a lot about Buddhism which was my intent! I have some more books about Buddhism but when I started reading them, it seemed as though I was missing some basic knowledge. Hopefully now I'll have enough background knowledge to be able to fully understand my other books!

I have the next address so the book will be on its way in a day or two.

Thanks for sharing Gothmarcus!

Journal Entry 11 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, February 4, 2008
This was in my mailbox when I got home from work this afternoon. Looks very interesting! I've read one other of the Very Short Introductions (thanks to Gothmarcus for that as well ;-) and it was very informative, so I'm looking forwards to this. Thanks for sharing, Gm, and thanks to everyone in the ray for keeping it moving! :-)

Journal Entry 12 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, February 17, 2008
I've read the book - February 9th through 15th. It was the second Very Short Introduction I’ve read and like the first one this was well written and informative, easy to understand for a person who like myself was rather fuzzy on the details surrounding this topic. There’s a lot of useful information in the book – I especially liked the section about the history of Buddhism in the various Asian countries where its influence has been particularly strong and where the culture in return has influenced the religion. The life of the Buddha was also told in a very good way. Overall the book was interesting, well written and pretty easy to read. Might have had a few more illustrations, but you can’t have everything. :-) Thank you for sharing, Gothmarcus!!

As for the book's future, I may have an interested reader here in Oslo; I told my friend Skyfire20 about the book and she seemed very interested ... :-)

Released 13 yrs ago (7/7/2008 UTC) at To a fellow BookCrosser in BC Meetup, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Finally this book is travelling again! :-) Tanumine picked this book up at the BC meetup here in Oslo this afternoon. I hope she'll enjoy it!! :-)

Journal Entry 14 by Tanumine from Råholt, Akershus fylke Norway on Tuesday, July 8, 2008
I picked this book up at the latest BC-meet up in Oslo. Started reading it on my way home, actually :-)
Seems very interesting, I have to admit. I'm looking forward to refreshing my knowledge on this subject, and what I've read so far, is well written as well :-)

Journal Entry 15 by Tanumine from Råholt, Akershus fylke Norway on Thursday, September 18, 2008
I finished this some time ago.
Really glad I read it. It's very interesting, and contains lots and lots and lots of information (as this kind of book should have). The part about meditation was really fascinating.
I think the consentration of it's contents is why I needed so much time to finish it even though it's not much of a book (125 pages). My brain couldn't wrap itself around that much info at 7 a.m in the mornings on my way to work, so I had to portion it out... And during summer vacation I didn't read much either, so there you go :-)
Recommended!

Journal Entry 16 by Tanumine from Råholt, Akershus fylke Norway on Sunday, December 7, 2008
I'm bringing this book to the BC meet-up tomorrow afternoon.

Journal Entry 17 by Synchestra on Sunday, May 10, 2009
Still haven't read this one, I'm afraid. There be exams, and a MA to plan.