Vanity Fair

Registered by cat207 of Gladstone, Queensland Australia on 7/12/2007
Journal Entry 1 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Thursday, July 12, 2007
Includes a name and year written in 'mirror' writing.

'"Vanity Fair" is the story of English society in the Napoleonic Wars and the early nineteenth century, but not the test-book story. As Thackeray wrote, "there is a great quantity of eating and drinking, making love and jilting, laughing and the contrary, smoking, cheating, fighting, dancing and fiddling: there are bullies pushing about, bucks ogling the women, knaves picking pockets, policemen on the look-out, quacks bawling in front of their booths, and yokels looking up at the tinselled dancers and poor old rogued tumblers." Through this free-wheeling melee of brilliant improvisations sail Becky Sharp, one of literature's most resourceful engaging and amoral characters, and Amelia Sedley, her less lustrous but more ambiguous foil. Their story is, in J.I.M. Stewart's words, "a landmark in the history of English fiction."'

Journal Entry 2 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, July 30, 2007
What a saga! I did enjoy it, but had difficulty keeping up with the characters many different names.

Journal Entry 3 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Thursday, September 27, 2007
Sending to livrecache before I move house. Enjoy. X

Journal Entry 4 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, October 1, 2007
Great book! Arrived safely today. I look forward to re-reading it.Thanks, cat207. I hope the house moving isn't too traumatic. Thinking of you.

Offered as Bookray 22 October 2007.

Participants:

taniazed

Journal Entry 5 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, October 29, 2007
Posting today to taniazed. I didn't get around to re-reading it -- too many other books to read . . .

Released 14 yrs ago (10/29/2007 UTC) at Malvern Post Office in A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

One of the 1001 books to read before you die

Journal Entry 7 by taniazed on Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Received today. Will get it read and pass it on to someone asap! Thanks!