Celia, A Slave

by Melton A. Mclaurin | History |
Registered by CheshireJM of Jonesboro, Arkansas USA on 4/1/2007
Journal Entry 1 by CheshireJM from Jonesboro, Arkansas USA on Sunday, April 1, 2007
This book is written by a historian, and is especially good for those interested in the history of women, of African-Americans, and in the expanding West (in this case, 1850s Missouri). It's well-documented, but also well-written. The case study follows the story of the Newsom family farm in Fulton, Missouri, and the relationship between Mr. Newsom and his slaves, especially a slave purchased as a concubine, Celia. It is as appalling and riveting as the best true-crime novel. Years ago, I had to read it for a college class called "The Antebellum South," and I just now re-read it for my own pleasure. After my second reading (finished yesterday), I think of Celia as an extremely brave woman. Definitely recommended.

Student snack lounge on first floor of Wilson Hall, near the History department. I'm putting it in (!) the Pepsi machine.