The Taking

by Dean Koontz | Horror | This book has not been rated.
Registered by darkpunkangel of Barrie, Ontario Canada on 3/20/2007
Journal Entry 1 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 20, 2007
From Publishers Weekly

In 1975, the now defunct Laser Books issued Invasion by Aaron Wolfe, aka Koontz (who later expanded that novel into Winter Moon, 1994), a breakneck tale of alien invasion centered on an isolated farm. Koontz's new novel also concerns alien invasion, and a comparison of the two books offers insight into the evolution of this megaselling author's work. Invasion was mostly speed and suspense—a brilliant if superficial exercise in terror. The new novel also features abundant suspense, as a couple in an isolated California home endure a phosphorescent rain and learn that, around the world, something is attacking humans and laying waste to communications. It's only when they drive to a nearby town that they learn of a global alien invasion; the tension ratchets as a weird fog descends and the aliens not only manifest physically but animate the dead. For years, however, Koontz has aimed at more than just thrills; today he is a novelist of metaphysics and moral reflection. His aliens are inherently evil as well as scary; standing against them are the human capacity for hope and the forces of goodness and innocence (here, as elsewhere, embodied in dogs), and near novel's end Koontz puts an overtly religious spin on his tale. Koontz's language has changed over the years, too, and not always for the better. While his care with words engenders admiration, his love of metaphor and alliteration can slow down the reading ("the luminous nature of the torrents that tinseled the forest and silvered the ground"). Also missing here is the wonderful humor that elevated his last novel, Odd Thomas, and some other recent work. Koontz remains one of the most fascinating of contemporary popular novelists, and this stands as an important effort, but not his best, though its sincerity and passion can't be denied.

Got this via bookmooch to replace my bookray that got stalled. Older journal entries can be found here.

Journal Entry 2 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 24, 2007
Participants so far: Sent March 24/07

Tish2002 (USA)*book is here*

...you?

Journal Entry 3 by darkpunkangel at Canada Post - Bookray in BOOKRAY, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 24, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (3/24/2007 UTC) at Canada Post - Bookray in BOOKRAY, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent today, hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by tish2002 on Friday, March 30, 2007
I received this today. Thank-you so much! I hope to get started on it as soon as I finish the bookring I am currently reading. I can't wait! I so enjoyed the last Dean Koontz book I read. Thank-you for the postcard too. It's beautiful! I absolutely adore wolves.

Released 14 yrs ago (9/30/2007 UTC) at To A Family Member in Family Member, Family Member -- Controlled Releases

Dean Koontz books are great! I was glad to be included in this bookray. I'm giving it to someone I know.