The Descent of Anansi

by Larry Niven, Steven Barnes, Jerry Pournelle | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by PDB11 of Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on 2/13/2007
Journal Entry 1 by PDB11 from Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 13, 2007
I read this years ago and liked it, so when I found another copy I bought it and put it on my shelf to await re-reading.

I found on re-reading that this book disappointed me. Niven is very good at exploring the social implications of science and technology, but this doesn't come across in this book at all. The book is based on an interesting piece of celestial mechanics: when I read the book the first time this was new to me, and interesting; this time it is not.

And apart from the scientific result that generates the plot, all we really have is a techno-thriller. The human interest - a husband and wife healing their broken marriage in adversity - is fine; and the plot - space piracy - is also fine. But the three (human interest, techno-thriller plot, and scientific result) don't really fit together very well.

In short, this is not a book to re-read, so I sha'n't keep it. For release.

Released 14 yrs ago (2/20/2007 UTC) at On the colliery wheel in the City of Dan in Whitwick, Leicestershire United Kingdom

On the side away from the road, for a change.

Journal Entry 3 by heidi69 from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, March 3, 2007
i was walking with my local ramblers group and my son found the book, which i have enjoyed reading.
i will place it somewhere on my next rambling walk.

CAUGHT IN WHITWICK LEICESTERSHIRE U.K.