RING Living Jewels: The Natural Design of Beetles (Mini Guides)

by Poul Beckmann | Outdoors & Nature |
Registered by GlitterLover of Leyland, Lancashire United Kingdom on 2/2/2007
Journal Entry 1 by GlitterLover from Leyland, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, February 2, 2007
What a gem of a book. I am a bit of a secret beetle fan and this book has the most amazing pictures of fabulously decadent beetles....
I will Ring this one as it is bound to be enjoyed by others.

Journal Entry 2 by GlitterLover from Leyland, Lancashire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Posting to LeishaCamden in Norway soon.

Journal Entry 3 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, February 20, 2007
This arrived in the mail from England today. What a pretty book! :-D I've looked through it briefly but I can see that I will have to give it a much more thorough examination. :-) I''ll journal again once I've had a chance to do so.

Thanks for letting me be part of this ring, GlitterLover! And thanks for the stickers and the confetti. I'll have to think of something fun to use it for. ;-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, April 9, 2007
I finally managed to sit down and give this book my full attention as it deserves. :-) GlitterLover is quite right, it is a gem of a book ... full of lovely portraits of many living gems. It is quite amazing to think that they are in fact all living creatures ... many of them are so brightly colored and so striking that it's almost hard to believe that the photos haven't been touched up in some way. Though I am sure they haven't as I know mother nature is the greatest artist of them all ... !! ;-)

The book doesn't only contain all these lovely images, it also has an introduction which gives a brief natural history of beetles and also talks about popular and religious beliefs surrounding them, as well as a variety of ways in which they have been used to accentuate our human arts and fashion. Very interesting. One thing did annoy me a little though - there is mention of a genus of beetle native to Costa Rica which is uniquely colored, apparently very special. But no examples of these are pictured in the book. >:-( IMO there's no call to tell us how pretty it is if you're not going to let us see it ...

All in all this book is a tiny visual feast that I would recommend to anyone who's interested in the natural world, and also anyone of artistic leanings who would like a splash of inspiration. Where will the book travel to now ... ??

Released 14 yrs ago (7/1/2007 UTC) at To a fellow BookCrosser in BC Meetup, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Well, the book hasn't travelled very far, it's still in Oslo! But at least it did manage to find a new reader (I use the term loosely as there isn't that much text to read ;-) for itself at meetup yesterday. And who knows where it may travel to next ... ;-)

Journal Entry 6 by shimi from Nordre Aker bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, July 2, 2007
Picked this up at the BC meetup in Oslo yesterday (wasn't allowed to journal until today, though). I've already had some sneak peaks at the photos, and will have a proper look at this little book soon! :)

Journal Entry 7 by shimi from Nordre Aker bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, February 11, 2008
This will go along with a surprise RABCK in a not too distant future! It has been staying with me for way too long, and deserves a new reader! :)

Edit 11/3-08: Travelling to Sweden as a surprise!

Journal Entry 8 by wingDeepswampwing from Björkhagen, Stockholm Sweden on Monday, March 17, 2008
A beautiful little book with beautiful creatures! Looking forward to look at them for a while! Thank you!

Journal Entry 9 by wingDeepswampwing from Björkhagen, Stockholm Sweden on Sunday, March 23, 2008
Travel as a surprice!

Journal Entry 10 by boirina from Mallorca - Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Thanks!

These little bugs are real beauties.

The book will travel soon again. As another surprise. I'll let you know when.

Journal Entry 11 by boirina at Vila do Conde, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (11/19/2008 UTC) at Vila do Conde, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal

I've given this book to the guy who is doing all the moving and packing. He said his daughter will love it. I've explained about BC and told him how to make a JE. I really hope she likes it. And these guys are being soooo helpful. :)