Learning to Bow: Inside the Heart of Japan

by Bruce Feiler | Travel |
Registered by SKingList of New York City, New York USA on 12/16/2006
Journal Entry 1 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Saturday, December 16, 2006
Second copy since I loved the first one so much. That ring has gotten long so I'm going to start this one from the back end and make it US/Canada only.

Journal Entry 2 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Saturday, December 16, 2006
US/Canada Only:

PRCS - Canada (Prefers US/Canada)
Catwoman - Canada (Prefers US/Canada)
DiannC - New Jersey, USA (Anywhere OK)
Rrrcaron - New Hampshire, USA
Goddess-Of-Fire - Missouri, US (prefers US)
azuki - Florida, US
k00kaburra - California (US/Canada)
Ilios - Tampa, FLA

Bluestocking88 - Washington

hopi100 - VA, USA
txjenn - Canada
elizardbreath - Oregon, USA

SKingList - NY, USA

Removed:
Triggerfish - 13 July 2007 - per her request

Journal Entry 3 by SKingList at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, December 22, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (12/22/2006 UTC) at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

could have sworn I made release notes.... *boggle*

sent this off to PRCS on Monday.

Journal Entry 4 by Catwoman from Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Thursday, January 18, 2007
I received this book in the mail today, and am really looking forward to reading it. I'm a bit confused by the release notes, though. SKingList, if the ring order needs to be updated, I won't be looking for the next participant for a couple of days (once I'm about half-way through the book).

Journal Entry 5 by Catwoman from Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 28, 2007
Very enjoyable. I've read a couple other books by this author as well. I like how he observes other cultures. I notice that the book is copywritten in 1991 - makes me wonder how much things have changed since he wrote it. Thank you very much for sharing this book with me. I've PM'd the next person on the list and am awaiting a shipping address.

Journal Entry 6 by Catwoman at on Saturday, February 3, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (2/3/2007 UTC) at

Mailed to DiannC this morning.

Journal Entry 7 by DiannC from Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Received this book in today's mail. The timing is good since I have next week off and will have more time than usual for reading.

Journal Entry 8 by DiannC at In The Mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 22, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (2/22/2007 UTC) at In The Mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed this morning to Rrrcaron in New Hampshire. I very much enjoyed this book. I lived in Japan for a while as a child and have always had an interest in it. My experience was different as I attended an American school but an awful lot of what the author wrote about was familiar.

One thing I missed was a sense of the author as a person. I felt that much of that was missing. I will however be looking for other books by this author.

Journal Entry 9 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Received this one in the mail yesterday. I have a book in a half to read before this one, but it won't take long!
Ruth

Journal Entry 10 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, March 17, 2007
I really enjoyed reading this book. The student in Japan sure has it a lot rougher than a student here in the states has it. I was shocked to see that an average student, between school and studying, has time for nothing else! I also enjoyed learning about some Japenese culture in general. I hope to some day visit Japan. Thanks so much for sharing this read. I will have it in the mail next week to the next reader.
Ruth

Journal Entry 11 by Goddess-Of-Fire from Springfield, Missouri USA on Saturday, March 24, 2007
I got this in the mail this morning. I have a book in front of it but I'll try and get to it as soon as possible.
Thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by Goddess-Of-Fire from Springfield, Missouri USA on Tuesday, April 3, 2007
Wow, this book made me really glad that I didn't go to school in Japan. I find it kind of hard to imagine school being involved in every aspect of my life like that.
Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot, and I've already recommended it to a couple of my friends. :)
Thanks for sharing!!

--awaiting azuki's address

Journal Entry 13 by Goddess-Of-Fire from Springfield, Missouri USA on Tuesday, April 3, 2007
Off to Azuki!
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Received. Thanks for the postcard. I look forward to reading what this book says about the Japanese culture.

Journal Entry 15 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, May 30, 2007
I thought I know a bit about Japanese school system from all the manga I read, but this book is so educating! It delves from the funny, such as Bruce's not-too-auspicious nampa adventures, to the thought-provoking, such as the little-known caste of burakumin and the conflict between the inaka and the metropolis. I also garnered interesting facts such as the perfect lenghth of chopsticks (15% of your height).

Will be mailing out to k00kaburra today.

Journal Entry 16 by k00kaburra from San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Book arrived today; I look forward to digging in :)

Journal Entry 17 by k00kaburra from San Jose, California USA on Sunday, July 8, 2007
Fascinating.
Like azuki, I thought I wouldn't be much surprised by the book because I've been such a huge fan of manga for years now. But manga really does seem westernized compared to this! The spunky heroine/independent/hot foreign students that populate manga don't seem to be found in the school Feiler teaches out. Foreign students would be shunned, independent students would probably be lonely, and the heroines are far more likely to defer to any decision made by guys.

But perhaps the fact that manga is so different is the result of the upcoming generation, which Feiler reports seems to be preparing to "break out" of extreme roles and become internationalized Japanese citizens that can function outside the mother country.

The dedication of the Japanese to the creation and maintenance of the group social unit seems insane to me. I couldn't imagine such a close-knit society - but then, wouldn't it be nice to always have extra "family" available? I wouldn't dare to say they've got it wrong, but it's a life I definitely don't think I could live.

-- PMing the next person to send.

Released 14 yrs ago (7/18/2007 UTC) at Postal Release in Post office, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

sent to Ilios today!

Journal Entry 19 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Sunday, August 5, 2007
I received this book two days ago and I looking forward to reading it. I have another ring before it, but I expect to start this book within the next two weeks. Thansk for sharing this!

Journal Entry 20 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 18, 2007
This was a very interesting read. Although Japanese schooling is known for its toughness and discipline, I was very surprised with the level of involvement the school has on its students. It was fascinating to see the author describe the connection between the school system processes and the overall goal of Japanese society, which is to create and develop highly reliable and hard-working citizens. I also enjoy the glimpses into Mr. Cherryblossom family life.

Although Japan has much evolved since the beginning of the 20th century, it is still disturbing to see how limited the options are for women, and also the nonchalance with which WWII history is taught when it comes to the atrocities commited by the Japanese. It is refreshing to notice that the government realizes that no country is an island - even if you are an island ;o) - and that efforts are made to open Japanese minds to the outside world.

This was a very enlightening read and I look forward to reading other books by this author. Thank you for sharing this!

Journal Entry 21 by Ilios at US Post in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (9/19/2007 UTC) at US Post in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

mailing to Bluestocking88> Enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by Bluestocking88 from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Washington USA on Monday, October 1, 2007
This just arrived today. I am looking forward to reading it and hope to move it along soon.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 23 by Bluestocking88 from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Washington USA on Monday, October 8, 2007
I lived in Okinawa Japan for several years in Elementary school, but I attended a DOD school which was just like schools in the US. I remember going on field trips and watching all the Japanese children in their uniforms walking in silent and orderly rows while the American kids were waiting impatiently in typical squirmy, slouchy, noisy and crooked lines. I also remember they had lots more school to attend--both in hours per day and days per year than we did. I knew I prefered US schools because it seemed so much easier.

I really enjoyed Bruce-san's story and observations. A few points were a little too detached for me, I would have like to know more about Bruce himself, but maybe that was part of the Japanese-ness of it all. Thank you very much for including me in your bookring. I am mailing this off to Hopi100 in tomorrow's mail.

Journal Entry 24 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, October 15, 2007
This just arrived today -- what a pleasant surprise to come home to! :) I'll pick up on it within the next day or so and then get it off to its next reader. Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 25 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, November 1, 2007
I really enjoyed this book! I'm fascinated with Japanese culture and lifestyle, and Bruce Feiler's account of his time in Japan was so interesting to read -- and informative, too!

Tomorrow I'll send "Learning to Bow" on to txjenn, and I'll make another journal entry once it's in the mail.

Thanks for this ring! :)

Journal Entry 26 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, November 2, 2007
OK -- it's on its way to txjenn! Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 27 by txjenn from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 13, 2007
got this in the mail today........can't wait to read it and then release it to the next person on the list

Journal Entry 28 by txjenn from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 30, 2007
received this book earlier in the week........can't wait to read this one...I have another book going but will get to this one next and then release it to the next person

Journal Entry 29 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Saturday, May 3, 2008
This came in the mail yesterday. I will get started on it tonight.

Journal Entry 30 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, May 7, 2008
I really am having a hard time getting into this. Usually I really love to read about Asian cultures but for some reason this is just not holding my attention. :(

I am waiting to hear back whether or not there will be someone after me on this ring.

Released 13 yrs ago (6/5/2008 UTC) at Jumieges' bios/memoirs/non-fiction bookbox in Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

skinglist has informed me that she desires to keep this book travelling.

Releasing into the bio/memoir/nonfiction bookbox.

Journal Entry 32 by jenptcfan from Mechanicsville, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 3, 2008
This looks good! Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 33 by jenptcfan from Mechanicsville, Virginia USA on Sunday, November 16, 2008
I thought this book was very educational, but it was a struggle for me to read it. It was just a little dry. I did make my way all the way through. I'm glad I read it, but I'm also glad to be done with it. :) I feel like I need to read some brain candy to make up for this one.

Journal Entry 34 by jenptcfan at Book and Letter Exchange, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (12/1/2008 UTC) at Book and Letter Exchange, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

I handed this off to my friend April so she could share it with her son.

Journal Entry 35 by wingelizardbreathwing at Mount Vernon, Washington USA on Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Hello again book! Jenptcfan sent me this in a box of books. Will release soon.

Journal Entry 36 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bookbox in Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (11/30/2010 UTC) at Bookbox in Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Releasing into the Wrap It Up Bookbox.

To the finder of this book:

Thanks, and Happy BookCrossing! :)

Journal Entry 37 by MarysGirl at Brooklyn, New York USA on Saturday, October 13, 2012
Finally unwrapped as I disband the wrap-it up box. This one will be wild released in the near future. I hope it reaches loving readers and gets journaled many more times. Thanks, elizardbreath for participating in the box and for the great book.

Journal Entry 38 by MarysGirl at -- Wild, Somewhere In Brooklyn in Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, October 15, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (10/14/2012 UTC) at -- Wild, Somewhere In Brooklyn in Brooklyn, New York USA

Put out on curb with 100 books marked FREE.
This one and 75 others taken during the day.

Whoever finds it, I hope you journal it (you can do so anonymously, if you don't want to join.) If you do want to join, feel free to tell the powers that be, that MarysGirl sent you their way.

Good luck little book!