English as a Second F*cking Language

by Sterling Johnson | Reference |
ISBN: 031214329x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wyldewomin of East Bridgewater, Massachusetts USA on 10/9/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wyldewomin from East Bridgewater, Massachusetts USA on Monday, October 9, 2006
sending on a ring

From the Publisher
America swears by it!

In the English language, swearing is essential to effective communication. Whether you want to succeed in business, school, or social circles, a strong command of vocabulary is absolutely necessary. Just imagine a stranger to our shores, trying to comprehend the following conversation:

John: Mary, would you like to attend the opera this evening?
Mary: F*cking-A. Should I wear my black dress?
John: Why the f*ck not?
Mary: F*cked if I know-Oh, f*ck! I just remembered. It got f*cked up in the wash.
John: Well, f*ck the opera. Let's stay home and f*ck.
Mary: Good f*cking idea.

English as a Second F*cking Language (ESF*L) is the perfect way for nonnative speakers to learn the basics of swearing. At the same time, it also offers native speakers a wide variety of twists and new refinements. Page after page, ESF*L provides a smorgasbord of swearing synonyms designed to boost your vocabulary-everything from the conventional d*mn and sh*t to a host of more inventive terms that would make any truck driver blush. And when you're finished reading, our Final F*cking Exam is the perfect test of your swearing skills. You'll be surprised by how much you've learned!

Journal Entry 2 by wyldewomin from East Bridgewater, Massachusetts USA on Monday, October 9, 2006
Ray order:

booberst - Germany
samulli - Germany int'l
Mochagirl - Aus or UK
sarahbear - Australia
totoroandmei - Japan - ending here b/c it's the first book that's gone to Japan from me

Journal Entry 3 by mellion108 from Waterford, Michigan USA on Wednesday, November 22, 2006
F*uck yeah! The book made its way here. Thanks so much for sharing, wyldewomin. I've had this on my wishlist for a while, so I really look forward to reading it. I hope to learn some great ways to defend some of my *cough* favorite daily expressions to those who just don't seem to understand the fine art of cursing. ;-)

I'll read this and get it moving again as quickly as possible. Happy holidays!
Paperback, 88 pages

Journal Entry 4 by mellion108 from Waterford, Michigan USA on Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Cute book! I'm not sure that's exactly the adjective that the author was going for, but this is a cute, amusing read. I love that Stephen King's blurb for the book is "Great f*cking book!" Too funny.

Thanks again for sharing, wyldewomin. I have lilmztaz's address and will have this in the mail to her soon. The book doesn't seem to want to leave my house. I've misplaced it twice, "lost" it in my car twice (both times on the way to the post office, no less), and forgotten to take it with me to the post office once. *sheesh* Hopefully the 6th time will be the charm!

Journal Entry 5 by mellion108 from Waterford, Michigan USA on Friday, December 22, 2006
UPDATE: Mailed to lilmztaz on Thurs. Dec. 21. Enjoy!

Happy holidays!

Journal Entry 6 by lilmztaz from Blythewood, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, December 26, 2006
My hubby will read this next. I am sure he will love it. I may try to fit it in also not sure though. I am a slow reader and don't want to slow the rat down, but looks like a real fast read

Journal Entry 7 by lilmztaz from Blythewood, South Carolina USA on Friday, December 29, 2006
I am so sorry my husband said he couldn't read this. It was just to f*cking vulgar for him. Sorry. The bit I read looked funny but I don't want to hold this book up. Hope the rest of you enjoy it

Journal Entry 8 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, January 25, 2007
Received in the mail today. My wife was skimming through this and reading some of the passages out loud. She thought it was f*cking hysterical. Looks like a quick read - I should get this to the next person soon.

Thanks for including me in this bookray!

Journal Entry 9 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Saturday, January 27, 2007
Now I know what they’re saying in “The Sopranos” and “Deadwood”! Actually, this was a fun little read if you’re not easily offended. It basically expands on George Carlin’s seven words you can’t say on TV. A tongue-in-cheek primer for swearing.

I have Kimmi's address and this will be off to B.C. Canada on Monday.

Released 14 yrs ago (1/29/2007 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Continuing bookray to Kimmi in British Columbia, Canada. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by Kimmi from Kelowna, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, February 8, 2007
This arrived safe and sound today. I should have it read within a day or two and sent on its way. Thanks wyldewomin for sharing!

Journal Entry 12 by Kimmi from Kelowna, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, February 8, 2007
Well, it didn't take a day or two, just a f*cking evening! Certainly a light read and probably quite instructional to those who want to learn "real" English. I found it interesting that some of the expressions mean different things here in Canada and I also learned a lot of new terms that I had never heard before.

I've got well-chilled's address so the book will be off in the mail tomorrow.

Journal Entry 13 by well-chilled from Eagle River, Alaska USA on Thursday, February 22, 2007
I got this in the mail yesterday, read it today. It is a very short, very quick read. Not at all what I was expecting. I thought it would be more about what a pain in the a$$ it is to learn english as a 2nd language, not learning how to use expressions such as 'pain in the a$$' in english. Oh well. It was vaguely entertaining. Felt kind of geared towards males as very few of the expressions covered females.
I'll see who's next and PM for the address.

Journal Entry 14 by well-chilled from Eagle River, Alaska USA on Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Oy. I've had this book far too long. Sorry all. I'm wrapping it up right now and will send it out on Thursday.
Not what I expected. Thought it would be more about what a pain in the butt English is as a language, not a how to guide for swearing. Anyway. I have the address already, will send on Thursday. My sincere apologies for the hold up.

Released 14 yrs ago (5/17/2007 UTC) at -- By Post or Hand, Ray/ring, Meet-up,Rabck in Fairbanks, Alaska USA

Being wrapped up right now. Will go out on Thursday. Sorry for the holdup.

Journal Entry 16 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, May 25, 2007
I think this might be a quick read! Thanks, wyldewomin and well-chilled for getting it here.

Journal Entry 17 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 31, 2007
Yes, it was a quick read!

In the post to shnedwards to take on holiday!

Journal Entry 18 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, June 1, 2007
Received and read today! Good fun. My husband can read it tonight while I wait for em64's address.

Journal Entry 19 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, June 21, 2007
Finally on its way to em64. Sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 20 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, June 25, 2007
Got the book yesterday in the mail and have already read half of it. It has been an enlightening read so far :-)

Journal Entry 21 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, June 27, 2007
An enlightening reading to say the least, now I'm better equipped when I'll have to translate the dirty jokes from Finnish to English. Though I have to say that I already knew quite a bit of words and expressions - which makes me wonder whether I should be more concerned about having to translate them or about having very little difficulties with the vocabulary needed :-).

I already have boirina's address and will pop into the post office tomorrow. Thanks for sharing the book and laughs with us, wyldewomin.

Journal Entry 22 by boirina from Mallorca - Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, July 2, 2007
The book got here today.

Thanks for sharing it. I am sure I'll really enjoy it. :)

Journal Entry 23 by boirina from Mallorca - Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, July 9, 2007
It's been an easy read. And I passed the test at the end of the book with f*cking flying colours!!!

I'll send the book to samulli in a few hours, as booberst asked to be skipped. :)

Journal Entry 24 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Thursday, July 12, 2007
Arrived. Man, this book is TINY! And since the print is big enough to be readable by a half-blind mole it shouldn't take more than half an hour to read it at best. But knowing me I will probably want to savour it slowly. LOL
Should be ready to move on by next week anyway. Thanks for sharing it and sending it on, everybody!

Journal Entry 25 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Sunday, July 15, 2007
I was right about the quick read. It really took not much more than an hour. And it was quite funny in some places. Unfortunately I have to admit it didn't teach me all that much - which probably says more about me than the book, though. ;o)

I have tried to contact Mochagirl, but haven't heard back from her yet. I'll keep trying and as soon as I get n address the book will be off.

Journal Entry 26 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Tuesday, July 17, 2007
I have Mochagirl's address now and will get the book on the way first thing tomorrow. Since I have to send it by surface mail (which apparently means it travels on the back of a footsore donkey all the way to China, before getting loaded on a little rowboat or something for the crossing to the land of Oz), it might take a while to reach her. Sorry for that.

Journal Entry 27 by Mochagirl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, July 30, 2007
Yay! Thanks for sending this, samulli :) It got here very quickly, I actually got it a few days ago, but didn't get a chance to journal it.
Shouldn't take me long to read - and then I'll be passing it on to sarahbear (who I'll PM for an address right now...).

Journal Entry 28 by Mochagirl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Ok, sorry for taking so long to get this moving.

In the meantime, it's been read by my German flatmate, right after she arrived in Australia, so it's been useful!

I'm sending it on today.

Journal Entry 29 by Mochagirl at ~~~ in Melbourne, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (10/24/2007 UTC) at ~~~ in Melbourne, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Finally sending on to sarahbear today!

Journal Entry 30 by sarahbear from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Received last night when I got home and read before I went to bed. Such a quick easy funny read.

I have contacted totoroandmei and now waiting for an address.

Journal Entry 31 by sarahbear from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Posting today.

Journal Entry 32 by totoroandmei from Fukuoka / 福岡市, Fukuoka-ken Japan on Sunday, November 25, 2007
Arrived safely in Japan. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 33 by totoroandmei from Fukuoka / 福岡市, Fukuoka-ken Japan on Saturday, December 1, 2007
Very quick interesting read. Wish I could pass it on to one of my students but...
Will make it available on bookmooch.com

Journal Entry 34 by totoroandmei from Fukuoka / 福岡市, Fukuoka-ken Japan on Saturday, February 23, 2008
It wasn't mooched but I got a PM for a moocher so it is on it's way!

Released 13 yrs ago (2/24/2008 UTC) at By Mail in With Another BCer, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Going surface mail. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 36 by Savotar from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, May 5, 2008
The book arrived today. Thank you very much for your generosiy, totoroandmei

Journal Entry 37 by Savotar from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, May 28, 2008
This book is so hilarious that I had to buy myself a copy for myself via Amazon. So I will pass this book on to new readers. :) I like this dry, linguistic approach to 4-letter words. :D

Journal Entry 38 by polenka from Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Wednesday, July 2, 2008
I got this from "book relay in Finland." Thanks Savotar!

Journal Entry 39 by polenka from Kuopio, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Monday, October 20, 2008
F*cking hilarious book! I learned a lot!

Journal Entry 40 by Tikruli from Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Wednesday, January 28, 2009
I got this from polenka as a RABCK -present. I hope that this book is funny and teach me a lot =D