Sister of My Heart

by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 038548951x Global Overview for this book
Registered by jennyscott of Asheville, North Carolina USA on 1/5/2003
Journal Entry 1 by jennyscott from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Sunday, January 5, 2003
I liked this book for the introduction it gave me to another culture. Even though it is fiction I was able to feel the Indian womans closed lifestyle. I felt the entrapment and how we are all products of our environment. Good story.

Journal Entry 2 by jennyscott from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, January 21, 2003
On to a fellow bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 3 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Tuesday, January 28, 2003
Rec'd in the mail today! Thanks! Another one to mark off my wishlist!

Journal Entry 4 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 28, 2003
A well written novel! I really liked the storyline and the characters. They were very likeable and I found myself enthralled by their actions and lifestyles. The Indian culture was amazing, this was my first encounter with it. I found myself feeling angry, sad, happy and so many other emotions throughout the book. And I must admit that I was teary-eyed several times -- for anger and happiness. I am so glad that jennyscott gave this to me! I hope to forward it to others who will love it as well, through a bookray.

Journal Entry 5 by pgsahm from Disputanta, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 28, 2003
What’s a bookray and how does it work?

A bookray is when a book passes from person to person based on the list of members involved. Preferably a bookray book is never released into the wild.

To join this bookray (or any other bookray of mine) please private message me. I will be glad to add you to the list. New members are added all of the time so be sure to check the list of participants before you mail the book to the next in line just in case!

Once you are a bookray member you will receive the book from the person listed before you. When you receive the book please make a journal entry stating that you’ve received it. Then read it as soon as you can (no absolute hurry, just be reasonable please :o), and journal again with your thoughts. You’ll then need to private message the person on the list after you for their address. Mail the book by media mail (it’s cheaper!), and make release notes on the book only if you’d like to. Then sit back and watch the continuing journey!

The members are as follows:

SCOUT-FINCH (California)

Janbur (Texas)
sejent (Kentucky)
pchemphd (Florida)
JuneBug31 (Canada)
xanapeq (Portugal) (wants to mail within Europe)
GlasgowGal (UK)

Journal Entry 6 by SCOUT-FINCH from Sherman Oaks, California USA on Thursday, July 3, 2003
Knew this was coming my way via pgsahm's bookray, so have been reading magazines for the last few days so as to be ready for it, and unencumbered by another book (I'm usually a one book at a time girl..)
Thanks for starting this bookray, pgsahm..will get right to it!

Journal Entry 7 by SCOUT-FINCH from Sherman Oaks, California USA on Wednesday, July 9, 2003
I absolutely loved this book..and am yet again grateful to BookCrossing because this is not ordinarily something I would have picked up..loved delving into the world of India in the 80's, so new to me and fascinating..will look for more of this author's books!
Will send to Betsy-STL tomorrow!

Journal Entry 8 by Betsy-STL from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2003
Rec'd via mail today. Will read ASAP. Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 9 by Betsy-STL from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Friday, August 1, 2003
I really enjoyed this book. Sudha and Anju's bond was so remarkable. It was a great mixture of reality and a fairy tale. "Sister of my Heart" introduces one to the Indian culture in a very entertaining way. I knew that twist about Sudha's father was coming. I'm looking forward to reading "Mistress of Spices" (another bookring).
`````````````````````````````````````````````````
Mailing to amusedbythis today. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 10 by Amusedbythis from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, August 11, 2003
Received this book today from Betsy-STL and am looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 11 by Amusedbythis from Chicago, Illinois USA on Wednesday, August 20, 2003
This was one of those books that I probably would never have heard of but for bookcrossing. It was a lovely story of love, honor, loyalty and selflessness. This book will soon be sent to squirrel818.

Released on Sunday, August 31, 2003 at Controlled Release in Chicago, Illinois USA.

This wonderful book is continuing its journey today. It is being mailed to the next person in line, which is squirrel.

Journal Entry 13 by squirrel818 from Tafton, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 8, 2003
i joined this ring and will read this book asap.

Journal Entry 14 by squirrel818 from Tafton, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, October 29, 2003
I'm so happy I read this book and I can't beleive it's written by the same person that wrought misstress of spices. There was so much more depth and feeling in Sister. It made me miss evry woman I've ever been close to.

Released on Sunday, November 23, 2003 at Being released to JDT in Pleasanton, California USA.

Journal Entry 16 by JDT from Pleasanton, California USA on Tuesday, November 25, 2003
Looks like my kind of book! Received today.
Thanks to those before me in this bookray!

Journal Entry 17 by JDT from Pleasanton, California USA on Thursday, January 1, 2004
Oh my - what a beautifully-written, compelling, eye-opening, emotionally-evocative story!
I loved reading this book - for its beauty, mystery, intensity, immersion into another culture, differences yet universals shared by women.

OK - the minor drawbacks: I liked the technique of alternating voices/chapters, yet found myself confused at times between Sudha and Anju - maybe it's just me.
I know the station of women in traditional India is difficult, but I was uncomfortable with occasional (perceived) feminist-male-bashing of men doing their best.

All in all - a wonderful, heartfelt read!
Sending on to 16stepper.

Journal Entry 18 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Wednesday, January 7, 2004
This arrived in Gilbert yesterday. Looking forward to reading it. Many rays in front of it however. You can see where it is in my reading order on my bookshelf.

Journal Entry 19 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2004
Words cannot describe the wonder of this story. I loved the alternating voices, the description of Indian customs, the heartrending sacrifices all the characters had to make in order to come to a place where a fresh beginning was possible. Just as her Mistress of Spices was one of my favorite reads from 2003, Divakaruni's Sister of My Heart will be one of my favorite reads for 2004. Thank you, pgsahm, for this bookray. Will be sending on to the next reader as soon as I have an address.

2/25 Junebug13 has asked to be skipped. Will contact loopy1.

Journal Entry 20 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, March 13, 2004
The book arrived here safely this morning. Thanks, I've been looking forward to this!

Journal Entry 21 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, March 18, 2004
This book didn't grip me quite as much as I was expecting it to, but I enjoyed it all the same.
I felt the two voices were very well handled. I felt the frustrations as each girl was forced into choices made for complicated reasons.
I enjoyed the insight into a different culture, and into arranged marriages, and the different pressures put on the girls.
And I really enjoyed the ending - although to be honest I would have preferred to have at least one more chapter from each girl, just for completeness. I felt the story was left suggesting what would happen but not spelling it out, and me, I like things spelt out :-)
Thanks for sharing this, it will be travelling again next time I get to the post office.

Journal Entry 22 by foovay on Tuesday, March 30, 2004
Just arrived - putting it on the top of the TBR - probably for this weekend.

Journal Entry 23 by foovay on Wednesday, May 5, 2004
Heartrending, healing, enchanting, and so very real.

Journal Entry 24 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, October 5, 2004
Received in today's mail...will start reading soon and will journal again when I have finished.

Journal Entry 25 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Thursday, December 29, 2005
I have been trying for the past several months to find someone to take this book, to no avail. pchemphd did not respond to several pm's, JuneBug31 asked to be skipped, xanapeq did not respond to several pm's, GlasglowGal asked to be skipped, and pgsahm has not responded to several pm's.

pgsahm: if you see this, please send me your address so I can get this book back to you

Journal Entry 26 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, July 2, 2007
I am sending this on to a bookcrossing member as a secret surprise!

Journal Entry 27 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Received from sejent today as winner of Sizzling Summer Sweeps. I'll have to leaf through and see if it looks like I'd enjoy it as there may not be enough fantasy and escapism, and too much real life, for me. LOL Thanks sejent!! ::hug::