The Devil in Massachusetts

by Marion L. Starkey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jenptcfan of Mechanicsville, Virginia USA on 9/25/2006
Journal Entry 1 by jenptcfan from Mechanicsville, Virginia USA on Monday, September 25, 2006
From the Publisher
This historical narrative of the Salem witch trials takes its dialogue from actual trial records but applies modern psychiatric knowledge to the witchcraft hysteria. Starkey's sense of drama also vividly recreates the atmosphere of pity and terror that fostered the evil and suffering of this human tragedy.

Journal Entry 2 by jenptcfan at Mechanicsville, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 24, 2022
Finally got around to reading this after all these years!

This is not a light and fluffy read (and I didn’t expect it to be). The first half of the book is mostly about Puritan culture and how the Salem Witch hysteria began. The last half is about the jailing and hanging of accused witches and the aftermath of this phase of history.

I was really expecting more about people being burned at the stake (never mentioned in this book) and various other witch “tests” I’ve read about.

I appreciated the care that the author put into reviewing the available historical records of the time and building out the “witches” stories, but I did struggle to keep my focus at times.

Journal Entry 3 by jenptcfan at Little Free Library in Richmond, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 4, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (12/4/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library in Richmond, Virginia USA

Congratulations, you've found a Bookcrossing book! If you're new to Bookcrossing, welcome. This is a safe community where you can remain anonymous. You don't have to join, but if you do you will be known only by your screen name and no one will ever be given your e-mail address. If you do decide to sign up for your free membership, I hope you'll use me, jenptcfan, as your referral.

Thanks for taking a moment to make a journal entry to let the previous readers know the book is safe with you. Please pass the book along to a friend or leave it "in the wild" when you've finished reading it.