Dates From Hell

Registered by Amberkatze of Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on 7/5/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Wednesday, July 5, 2006
I had to buy this because of the Kim Harrison story. However since ordering this book I have also read a book by Lynsay Sands so I am now looking forward to reading something else by her.

I can't wait to read a few stories from authors I already know and few I don't. It will be interesting to see what they have written.

Journal Entry 2 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Sunday, July 16, 2006
Please make a journal entry as soon as you recieve the book and also when you send it to the next person. Then we know where the book is!

Please try and read and send this book on within a month. If you need longer please make a new journal so we know the book is still in action!

When you are finished with the book please PM the next person on the list and ask for their address so you can send it on to them!

I would appreciate a PM from any participant who wants to leave the ring or be skipped for any reason. Please do not leave it to the last minute.

Also let us know what you thought of the book but don't give too much away!

The order may change to accommodate for the postal preferences of the ring members.
Lastly if you have nicer bookcrossing labels or stickers then decorate the book a little! Also stick a postcard from your country in with a message! Could be fun :)

This Bookring is still open! Pm if you would like to join!

Here are the participants so far -

Beekeeper40 in the UK <-- Completed!
Spin-a-Yarn in the UK (prefers EU or will mail surface intl) <-- No contact...
em64 in Finland (any) <-- Completed!
Bluefenix211 in Brunei (Intl) <-- LOST!!!!

Replacement Copy with same BCID (Thank you em64!!!)

wyvernfriend in Ireland <-- Completed!
Yinny in the Netherlands <-- Completed!
Ulrika in Sweden <-- Completed!
Niksu in Finland <-- Completed!
nikel27 in Germany <-- Completed!
morgaine77 in Switzerland <-- Completed!
Rianonne in Austria <-- Next!
Then back to me!

Journal Entry 3 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Sunday, July 30, 2006
This was a nice book of 4 stories from 2 authors I already know and 2 I don't. I was glad to see that all 4 of the stories were based around different paranormal 'people'.

Story 1 by Kim Harrision - This looked at the Vampire, Ivy, that we all know and love from the 'Hollows' series. I was really looking forward to finding out more about Ivy but didn't like the story as much as the 'Hollow's series.

Story 2 by Lynsay Sands - I enjoyed this story about shape shifting and found some of it funny. I especially liked the celebrity name used in this story 'Brad Cruise'.

Story 3 by Kelly Armstrong - I hadn't read anything by this author before so I was interested to see what she was like because I am signed up for 2 bookrings for her books. This one was about a half demon and a werewolf. It was a great story and I am really looking forward to those bookrings!

Story 4 by Lori Handeland - I hadn't read anything by this author either and will be having a look at what books she has on offer as I also enjoyed this story. This one was mostly about demons with a little bit more and was very fast paced.

I already have the address of the first person on this ring so I will pack up the book and send it off this week!

I hope you all enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by beekeeper40 from Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Received safely today - thank you. Will be next to be read.

Journal Entry 5 by beekeeper40 from Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2006
I haven't read anything like this before. The first story I couldn't get into at all but the other three were better.

Thanks to Amberkatze for starting the ring. Have pmed the next reader for their address.

Released 15 yrs ago (9/4/2006 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser in book ring/ray, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Finland.

Journal Entry 7 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, September 11, 2006
Came back home late yesterday evening and the book was there waiting for me. This is a genre I don't usually read so it will be very educating and refreshing to read something totally new to me.

Journal Entry 8 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, September 18, 2006
I usually don't read books of this genre, actually this was the first encounter. The first story I did not like, I just couldn't get into it. But the other three stories I liked more than I would have thought beforehand. One shouldn't be prejudiced... I found it so funny when the sorcerers had turned their mobile phone to vibrate as The Ride of the Walkyrie at the wrong time might be a bit disrupting and revealing :-)

I already have bluefenix211's address and will pop into the post office today after work.

Journal Entry 9 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Sunday, December 17, 2006
I hope this one hasn't got lost...

Journal Entry 10 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, March 22, 2007
The book has been for six months now on the way to Brunei and it looks like it has got lost. I managed to get hold of a replacement which I registered with the original BCID so that also readers before me will get the journal entries when the book continues its journey.

Got wyvernfriend's address today and so I popped into the post office after work. I hope that this time it will not get lost but arrives safe and sound in Ireland :-)

Journal Entry 11 by wyvernfriend from Lucan, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Collected from the post office today, plan to read it right after I finish some I've already started. Using this one as incentive!

Journal Entry 12 by wyvernfriend from Lucan, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, March 29, 2007
A mixed bunch of stories. The first is a story of Ivy Tamwood before she meets with Rachel. The vampire politics didn't make my day and I really wanted to slap several of the characters until they left silly behind. Ivy is trying to solve a murder while also trying to stop her boss from using her for blood and sex. Honestly vampires would have died out a long time ago if some of what was going on here was typical of the species. Oooh the angst. BAH. 3/5 just about.

Lynsay Sands had an interesting idea and then went pretty much nowhere with hers. An experiment that starts on animals ends up giving a woman the power to shapeshift. She decides to help a friend get revenge at a reunion. Another 3/5 and I was now starting to despair of the stories.

Then Kelley Armstrong came to the rescue with the story of a half-demon tabloid reporter working undercover for the good guys, on a date with yet another one of her mother's prizewinning blind dates bumps into a werewolf jewel thief. This was a fun read, complete in itself yet leaving hints that there could be more. I'd like to meet the two main characters again in a story. 4/5

Lori Handeland's Dead Man Dating was another quite good story, lagging a bit occasionally and suffering badly with the Armstrong but well against the other two. Hers is a Manhattan Literary agent is rescued on her date by a demon hunter, to find that the demon may have disappeared but he isn't dead. And he does want her. A fun, light read. 3.5/5

Nothing I'd really add to my collection but the Kelley Armstrong was worth the price of admission.

Journal Entry 13 by wyvernfriend from Lucan, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, April 2, 2007
winging it's way to yinny today

Journal Entry 14 by Yinny from Capelle aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, April 8, 2007
And the book is here! Will be read asap. Thank you Amberkatze for sharing your books and thank you, wyvernfriend for sending it to me!

Journal Entry 15 by Yinny from Capelle aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 9, 2007
And finished! Like you, I didn't like the first story. Too confusing, too dark, bleh...
I did like the second story, shapeshifting into Brad Cruise...Nice to help your friend, but then the story gets a bit too easy...
I loved the third and last story, so all in all, this book was worth it!
I've requested for Ulrika's address, so the book can continue its journey.

Journal Entry 16 by Yinny at controlled release in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (4/10/2007 UTC) at controlled release in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

And to the next reader!

Journal Entry 17 by Ulrika from Landvetter, Västergötland Sweden on Friday, April 20, 2007
The book has arrived, safe and sound. Yinny, thanks for the cute card!

//Ulrika

Journal Entry 18 by Ulrika from Landvetter, Västergötland Sweden on Thursday, May 3, 2007
I really liked the Kelley Armstrong story. The other stories were a bit too fluffy, and I don't think I'll try to find other books by those authors.

On to the next reader!

//Ulrika

Journal Entry 19 by Niksu from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, May 20, 2007
This was waiting for me when I got back from my vacation. Thanks!

Journal Entry 20 by Niksu from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, June 4, 2007
I finally finished this yesterday. First two stories went fast but then I somehow lost interest. This is not the usual genre I like to read but every now and then it's nice to try something totally different. I would have liked this more if got chance to read this in my teenyears.

Thanks anyway for sharing, Amberkatze. I've already got nikel27 address so sending the book forward today.

Keep Them Moving-Challenge #43

Journal Entry 21 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, June 12, 2007
arrived safe at my house.

update:
Good read, thanks for sharing this book with me

Journal Entry 22 by nikel27 at Post Office in Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 18, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (6/18/2007 UTC) at Post Office in Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

EnJoy the book!!!

Journal Entry 23 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Thursday, June 28, 2007
Arrived safely in Switzerland, thanks! I'm going on vacation tomorrow, so it'll be awhile until I get to this one.

Journal Entry 24 by Morgaine77 from Münchenstein, Baselland Switzerland on Friday, January 18, 2008
I'm in the train of organizing all the books that are still with me and need journalling and passing on after I've been sick a long time.

I just found that my cat picked this book to show me she was angry with me... I will immediately order a replacement copy and pass it on as soon as it arrives! I'm so sorry for this!

As to what I thought of the book:
I didn't like Kim Harrisons story. I never liked Ivy to start with and this wasn't really a story, but rather a study of Ivy's past. Not really my cup of tea.

Lynsay Sands story "The Claire Switch Project" was a lot of fun! Though kind of forseeable, I loved it!

Kelley Armstrong doesn't disappoint either. I always wondered about the rogue werewolf Marsten from the Otherworld series... so here he is again and we get to know him a bit better. Very nice!

Lori Handeland's "Dead Man Dating" was also a bit foreseeable, but again, very enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing and as soon as I get the replacement I'll send the book on to Rianonne.

On its way to Rianonne. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 26 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Monday, March 17, 2008
Arrived safe and sound in Vienna with 2 other BookRings from Amberkatze!!

Journal Entry 27 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Friday, July 4, 2008
This bookring has made the long way back home! Thank you to everyone who took part and made this successful!

This now goes into my PC!

Journal Entry 28 by Amberkatze at Haydn Kino (ehem. OBCZ) in Wien Bezirk 06 - Mariahilf, Wien Austria on Saturday, January 30, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (1/30/2010 UTC) at Haydn Kino (ehem. OBCZ) in Wien Bezirk 06 - Mariahilf, Wien Austria

Dear Finder,
Congratulations on finding this book! I hope you enjoy it. I'd be thrilled if you took the time to let me know what you will be doing with this book once you've read it by making a journal entry.
Please note that joining bookcrossing.com is anonymous & free!
kind regards,
Amberkatze

Journal Entry 29 by kalafudra at Wien Bezirk 06 - Mariahilf, Wien Austria on Saturday, June 12, 2010
Found at English Cinema Haydn on Thursday.

Journal Entry 30 by kalafudra at IC Wien - Graz in -- Bahn/Bus/Zug --, Wien Austria on Monday, June 14, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (6/13/2010 UTC) at IC Wien - Graz in -- Bahn/Bus/Zug --, Wien Austria

Perfect summer read, though not all stories were equally good.