Einstein's Dreams

by Alan P. Lightman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by skcreader of Roanoke, Virginia USA on 12/5/2002
Journal Entry 1 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 5, 2002
will read again then release

Journal Entry 2 by skcreader from Roanoke, Virginia USA on Tuesday, February 4, 2003
sending to a NY bookcrosser

Journal Entry 3 by Jaelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Wednesday, February 12, 2003
This is a book I've picked up at the bookstore several times, but never purchased. I've already started reading it and so far so good.

-THANKS skcreader!

Journal Entry 4 by Jaelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Saturday, February 15, 2003
A quick read that explores what Einstein's nightly dreams may have been like as he considered the nature of time.

I especially like 5/11/05's dream world where "...the passage of time brings increased order." "In such a world, people with untidy houses lie in their beds and wait for the forces of nature to jostle the dust from their windowsills and straighten the shoes in their closets."

Journal Entry 5 by Jaelle from Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, February 24, 2003
On it's way to another BC'er.

Journal Entry 6 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 28, 2003
Just received! Looking forward to reading this. Will journal again.

Journal Entry 7 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 3, 2003
What an interesting little book. Each chapter looks at a different aspect of time and how it affects the world. What if time stood still? What if time was only a moment? What if we each followed a different beat of time? This is not a scientific look at time, but rather a philosophical look at the effect of time. I really enjoyed it. It is also so lyrically written that it is almost like reading poetry.

I am sending this off to another BC'er as a surprise RABCK, because its on his wishlist.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by jmg49 from Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 11, 2003
Thank you Cestmoi --- This has brightened up a rather drab day!

Journal Entry 9 by jmg49 from Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 13, 2003
I really enjoyed this book. It is a series of dreams of different concepts of time written in a wonderfully lyrical manner.

I have started a bookray for "Einstein's Dreams".
So far these bookcrossers have joined:

porchbee Ontario Canada
mysteryfan03 Missouri USA
kymberlie Texas USA
caligula03 California USA
Maurean Florida USA
LeapingLizzards Florida USA

Zmrzlina Massachusetts USA (Skipped)
loopy1 UK
illinicheme California USA
Arjay1977 California USA
may-eve Oregon USA
starbytes Kuala Lumpur, Selangor Malaysia

Above is the current order of the bookray. It is still open to new members.
Before each person is ready to send the book on, he or she should send the next person on the list a pm asking for their address.

Journal Entry 10 by jmg49 from Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 13, 2003
I have passed the book to "porchbee".

Journal Entry 11 by ailien from Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 13, 2003
Happy to be first in this bookray. I see that the request list for this book is long so I'll get started on it right away.

Journal Entry 12 by ailien from Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 25, 2003
I loved the book. Einstein's theories on time were fascinating.

Journal Entry 13 by ailien at Post Office in Woodstock, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 25, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, August 26, 2003 at Post Office in Woodstock, Ontario Canada.

Will mail to mysteryfan03 in missouri tomorrow.

Journal Entry 14 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Monday, September 15, 2003
I got this in the mail today!! Thanks JMG49 and Porchbee!! It looks interesting and I am anxious to get started. However, I have 3 bookrays in front, so I will get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 15 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Sunday, September 21, 2003
This book was really fun. There were a lot of neat observations I could make. One is that I could think of people who seemed to fit into some of these worlds. The one where people live in the past and cant go on. The one where people are either rigid and worried about the present or laid back and dont worry, etc.
I really enjoyed this book Thanks for letting me read this.

Journal Entry 16 by kymberlie from Spring, Texas USA on Wednesday, October 15, 2003
Received today. Going to get to this as soon as I can so I can pass it on to the next person. Thanks for the opportunity to read this book!

Journal Entry 17 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Wednesday, January 21, 2004
The book has arrived safe and sound. I will read it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 18 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Thursday, April 1, 2004
I Love LOVE LOVED this book and it was over too quickly. I could have kept going with even more stories of different worlds with different types of time. It was just the most sensuous retelling of the Theory of Relativity. I'll have to purchase a copy of this for my husband.

Journal Entry 19 by caligula03 at on Friday, April 2, 2004
Release planned for Saturday, April 03, 2004 at Maurean in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Mailing out to Maurean tomorrow.

Journal Entry 20 by Maurean from Atlantic Beach, Florida USA on Thursday, April 8, 2004
this little book arrived safe & sound in Florida today! Can't wait to dive into it! However, I am smack-dab in the middle of another book right now, but this will be next in line....will journal again, as soon as its read.

Journal Entry 21 by Maurean from Atlantic Beach, Florida USA on Tuesday, April 13, 2004
Well, like everyone else who has read this before me, I loved this delightfully fascinating and wonderfully entertaining little book!

The prose has a poetic cadence - in the "world in which there is no time", Lightman's juxtaposition of images that he creates in your head are fantastic in their impressions; his "world of fitful time" (where who would "fare better? Those who have seen the future,those who have not, or those that deny the future?) is wonderfully thought-provoking; and, in a "world where people live just one day", his thoughtfulness is overwhelming!

If I were pressed to find fault with this gem, it is that it was over much too soon! This is one I will hunt down to add to my personal collection for reading again ....and, again!

Thanks for sharing this jmg49,and I will send it along on its journey by week's end. *no response from pchemphd, so mailed to LeapingLizzards on 4/21

Journal Entry 22 by LeapingLizzards from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, April 30, 2004
I loved this book! It was like reading poetry. What an original concept.

Zmrzlina asked to be skipped so not the book is on the way to loopy1.

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 23 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, May 7, 2004
The book arrived with me this morning - on an amazing morning when the postman rang twice - once it was the van with a parcel, then immediately afterwards the postman with this book!
I'm really looking forward to this one, thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 24 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 18, 2004
I really enjoyed this book, but in retrospect I wish I had read just a little bit each day rather than trying to read it all at once - it's full of ideas about time, and I'd rather have been able to think of one or two at a time.
Still, maybe I'll find a PC copy one day.
My favourite was the story 15th June, where time is a visible dimension, and you can hold back or jump forward.
Thanks for sharing this!

Journal Entry 25 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 8, 2004
I did post this on to Fofum a week ago. I hope it arrived safely!

Journal Entry 26 by Fofum from Beverley, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 21, 2004
...yes it did, and was promptly put on a pile of 'stuff' to deal with...and I forgot about it. I am so sorry for not journalling on arrival, and for taking such a long while to get around to reading it.
I'm afraid that now I have, I'm not overly impressed by it. It had an air of smugness about it, as if it was written to show how clever the author is (and obviously he is!). I think I am one of those simple souls who prefers a linear narrative and I always have a problem with novels written in the present tense, though I'm not quite sure why.
There are some fascinating observations on the nature of time and the concept of there being some people who are aware of the loop they are on was interesting.

Thanks for passing this on and my apologies again for being a tardy Bookcrosser. My time to enjoy reading tends to come in fits and starts in the year rather than when you all send me books!

ThereasA has asked on her profile to be moved to the end of the list for books she previously signed up for. Can you remember to go back to her when it gets to the end? Thanks.

Journal Entry 27 by Fofum at on Friday, August 27, 2004
Released on Friday, August 27, 2004 at Royal Mail in Beverley, England United Kingdom.

On it's way to Wales. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 28 by Starry-Starry from Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, September 4, 2004
Arrived in the week - thanks Fofum. I've been redecorating and without my computer for a few days, so couldn't journal before now. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 29 by Starry-Starry from Llandrindod Wells, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, October 23, 2004
I'm sorry I've kept this so long and I'm afraid I still haven't read more than a third of it. It strikes me though as not so much a novel but a philosophical work to be dipped in and out of at will and not read linearly (is that a word??). Of the ones I read I agree with Loopy1 that my favourite was the visible time one. I tried to imagine how that would work - if time is a visible dimension could we look at each other, at buildings, rocks, oceans and instantly know how old we are. Wouldn't that help the historians, archaeologists, geologists amongst us! I'd love to be able to look at the Turin Shroud for example and know how old it is ;o)

Anyway, I am about to head off to the post office to post this onto Kernow8. Thanks jmg49 for giving me the chance to read it and hope you enjoy it Kernow8.

Journal Entry 30 by Kernow8 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 25, 2004
Just arrived. Looks like a nice quick read and what a lovely size! I'm going to London for a few days this week and will slip this into my handbag to read in any spare moments - all the other books on my TBR pile are just too big to take.

Journal Entry 31 by Kernow8 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 1, 2004
A lovely little book - very imaginative and thought-provoking. Although the alternative worlds are not our own, many of the stories made me think about the way in which I treat time, for example wanting time to stay still sometimes, revelling in past achievements or wallowing in past mistakes, not making the most of the early years of my children's lives, etc. I'm still waiting for the next person's address - will send it on when I get it. Thanks!

Update 10th Nov: no response from kalahari (and a forum search revealed that others have also been unable to contact him/her) so I've asked symphonicca for an address instead. I'll post again when the book is in the post.

Journal Entry 32 by symphonicca from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 18, 2004
Yahoo! I have been very much looking forward to reading this book since i signed up--- that so much for sending it along! I am just finishing Moon Tiger and then this one will be bumped up my TBR to be next in line! Will journal more once i have started reading....

Journal Entry 33 by symphonicca from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 24, 2004
Like many others who have read this book before me (or did they read it before me---- maybe i am reading it first and time has just doubled over on itself.... ooooooo! Scary!), I found the stories fascinating, and am a little sad that there are no more little vignettes for me to read, in order to learn more about what goes on in the little time-sensitive town: with its ambling, lazy river boats, its wonderful scent-ridden markets, and its slightly strange but very real people, all of whom are living in different concepts of time.

Fun fun fun stuff! I will definately want to read this book again, at a later date (or maybe an earlier date--- maybe tomorrow or in an hour or in 20 years, or never, or always....) :)

Thanks for passing it around jmg49. I PMed the next in line, but she has received a copy from someone else and is actually reading it right now (weird eh?!), so I will be sending it on to Hawkette next week. Godspeed little book!

********************

Popped in the mail tuesday morning (Nov. 30)--- sorry for the short delay!

Journal Entry 34 by wingHawkettewing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, December 5, 2004
Wow! This is a well travelled little book! Has arived with me in Australia. Thanks to everyone whose hands it has passed through. Will read and pass on as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 35 by wingHawkettewing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, March 31, 2005
Little book of time, and all the possibilities that time is, could be, isn't, and should be!! The little volume is a collection of theories about time, thought up by (supposedly) Einstein. Lots of these scenarios are things that I had actually thought myself, while cursing time - we have never got along!!

Each theory is actually quite short, which makes for a collection of short stories really - but little enough to annoy at times - I wanted to get right into it! But then by the end, I was well and truely ready for the little vignettes to finish.

Will be sent on when I have an address.

Journal Entry 36 by wingcharbonowing from Creswick, Victoria Australia on Sunday, April 24, 2005
oh dear I thought I'd journalled this already!

Interesting reading, not what I expected but I did enjoy the philosophy of "the multiplicity of truth and time" to quote Jeanette Winterson.

May 29 - sending this on to VirginiaWoolf tomorrow. Sorry it's taken me so long, I've just moved house (interstate) if that's any excuse!