The Stake

by Richard Laymon | Horror |
Registered by jare of Port Richey, Florida USA on 3/15/2006
Journal Entry 1 by jare from Port Richey, Florida USA on Wednesday, March 15, 2006
I've had this in my TBR for some time now. I have a large number of Laymon novels that I have yet to read... I seem to be hoarding them since there won't be anymore. Time to stop, read, enjoy, and set free!

From the back cover:

In an isolated corner of a deserted hotel, horror writer Larry Dunbar uncovers a grisly relic. It's naked. It's female. And it has a wooden stake through its heart.

She was a young, innocent high school senior named Bonnie Saxon.... sacrificed on the altar of a madman's obsession to rid the earth of its most ancient, pitiless evil: the curse of the vampire.

Journal Entry 2 by jare from Port Richey, Florida USA on Saturday, November 8, 2008
Oh, now this was a fun book! As is typical for Laymon, it was very fast paced and the subplot was just as unnerving as the main plot! Every time I read one of his books, I'm reminded of why he was THE master of the genre! I just love his twists, and his variations of the traditional vampire mythos were awesome! Great characters, too! I was pleasantly surprised to NOT have the typical brainless heroine in this one. Lane made a few crazy decisions, but overall she was quite level headed. I'm wondering if the morality of these characters has something to do with the fact that Larry Dunbar, horror writer, his wife, and teenage daughter are spitting images of Laymon's own families?

Journal Entry 3 by jare from Port Richey, Florida USA on Friday, November 14, 2008
This book is going on a little journey as a bookray! The shipping order is below.

Rules for the ray:

1) When you receive the book, make a journal entry so that we know it has arrived.
2) Try to read and send the book off within a month of receiving it. I know that sometimes life happens, but try your best to get it moving promptly.
3) When done, please contact the next person in line to get shipping info.
4) "Controlled release" notes are great!
5) Enjoy the book!

yvensong (NV, USA)
prollacct (PA, USA)--Per bookshelf, is currently inactive, will be skipped

Journal Entry 4 by jare at Trinity, Alabama USA on Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (11/26/2008 UTC) at Trinity, Alabama USA

Sending off to Bibliocrates today! Let the RAY begin!

Journal Entry 5 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Monday, December 1, 2008
This book arrived safely here in Trinity, Alabama Saturday afternoon. Thanks for sending it my way Jare, can't wait to read it!

Amazon Editorial Review:
In an abandoned hotel in a California ghost town, horror writer Larry and his friends make a chilling discovery. By chance they stumble across a naked woman in a coffin with a stake driven through her heart. Was she a vampire or the victim of a gruesome murder?

Publishers Weekly
A novelist worries about the stake driven through the heart of a presumed vampire in this chilling horror story by the author of Flesh. Larry Durban, his neighbor Pete and their wives find the body of the young woman hidden in the basement of a ghost-town hotel. Pete persuades Larry, who has started writing a vampire novel, to bring the body home. Hoping for a great PR stunt, Pete plans to film the removal of the stake. But Larry has second thoughts. An old man tried to kill them when they picked up the coffin, suggesting that he, for one, believes in vampires. And Larry starts to have disturbing dreams about his ``houseguest,' whose finger bears a class ring identifying her as ``Bonnie' and a onetime student at the high school that his own teenage daughter, Lane, attends. Even more disturbing is the deepening relationship between Lane and her English teacher, Hal Kramer. Early on, Laymon shows Kramer engaging in a bloody murder, thereby raising the possibility of a connection to Bonnie. By studying old newspaper clippings, Larry learns that numerous young women had disappeared at the same time as Bonnie, but surely, he tells himself, these were innocents, not vampires. By this point, the reader shares Larry's doubts, and the tension becomes electric.The novel's only flaw may be overindulgence in dialogue. But its lighthearted tone sets up some white-knuckle moments, and the ending is more than worthy of Laymon's buildup.

Journal Entry 6 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Wow! Time flies... I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be starting this book and passing it along very shortly, so sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 7 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Saturday, February 21, 2009
Would you believe me if I told you that the reason I kept this book for so long is because I wanted to savor it, that I didn't want it to end?

I loved this book, another vampire story by Richard Laymon that isn't quite a vampire story... or, is it? The ending was great. Those, "what just happened" moments in books, love 'em! Of course, I can't divulge too much without spoiling the many surprises in the story, so let's just say it revolves around horror writer, Larry Dunbar, who becomes obsessed with solving the mystery behind the dead body of a young girl, discovered while visiting the ghost town of Sagebrush Flat with his wife Jean, and their neighbors Pete and Barbara. The dead girl had a wooden stake in her chest when they found her. Who was she? Larry discovers that the dead girl was Bonnie Saxon, who bears a striking resemblance to his daughter, Lane. Throw in a few subplots, Laymon style, with perverts and psychopaths, and you have quite a thrilling story where the bastards get what they deserve in the end.I can't help but wonder if Laymon's detailed descriptions of Larry's writing process was at all autobiographical. If you are a Laymon fan, you will love this one. I would also recommend The Traveling Vampire Show, that other vampire story that isn't quite a vampire story.

Seriously, I can't apologize enough for having taken my time with this one while many were waiting their turn. I haven't had much free 'reading' time lately.

Thank you for sharing Jare! I agree that Laymon was THE master of the genre! I will be posting this book on to JennyC1230 first thing in the morning via USPS First Class Mail.

Journal Entry 8 by Bibliocrates at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, February 21, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (2/21/2009 UTC) at Woodstock, Georgia USA

This book is on its way to JennyC1230 to continue the ray...

Journal Entry 9 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2009
The book arrived yesterday and I have already started reading it. I will send bilbi a message to find out where to send it next.

Thanks for sharing your book Jare!

Journal Entry 10 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, February 26, 2009
I liked this a lot! I haven't read any Laymon books in forever. I don't want to spoil the book, but I thought it was interesting how there were two storylines related (maybe 3?) and then it all came together at the end. Wild ending! You think it's over and then BAM! one more surprise.

I sent Bilbi a request for address, but haven't heard back. Will send this book when I get it. Thanks for sharing Jare!

Journal Entry 11 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, March 6, 2009
I haven't heard back from Bilbi so I am sending another address request.

Journal Entry 12 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Sending to bilbi, along with a surprise RABCK. Enjoy the books!

Journal Entry 13 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Received today !

I've been out of 'rings lately and this is the fourth I received in a few days ;-)

I'll read it as soon as possible

Thanks for sharing

\o/

Journal Entry 14 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Sunday, April 12, 2009
It's funny how things go...

This was my fourth horror book in a row ;-)

I enjoy the book quite a lot even if the vampire makes her scarce in the book ...

Thanks again !

The Stake will be sent to Spain on Tuesday

Journal Entry 15 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, April 17, 2009
This book was expecting me today, when I arrived home.
Looks quite terrifying, I love it!
Thanks for sending it on, Bilbi; also thanks for the bookmarks and the kind note...
And thanks for starting this bookray, Jare!
Be afraid, be very afraid! :)
Eva

Journal Entry 16 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Currently reading it, what a fantastic horror novel!
I have Deereads' address; I won't take long finishing it and sending it to her.
Eva

Journal Entry 17 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, August 10, 2009
What a fantastic novel! A traditional horror story... and I mean it as a compliment! The ones I like to read!
This kept me wondering all the time; the plot is very original... and I have read lots of horror, mind you!
The sub-plot with the teacher is almost as frightening as the vampire story; all the previous "grooming" is very well captured.
I really liked Larry Dunbar, the main character, and his thoughts / doubts as a writer; obviously Mr. Laymon knew what he was writing about.
This is one novel I have really enjoyed; thanks for sharing it, Jare.
I have Deereads' address, and it will soon be on its way to her...
Eva

Journal Entry 18 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Friday, August 14, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (8/14/2009 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sent today by post to Deereads, in Canada, who is next in this bookray.
Enjoy!
Eva

Journal Entry 19 by deereads from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 20, 2009
Arrived in my mailbox today!!! Thanks so much for passing on to me!! Was just trying to decide what to read next so it looks like this will be the one!!!

Journal Entry 20 by deereads from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 23, 2009
Great, Excellent!!!! I think this has got to be my second favorite Laymon after the Quake. It was perfect with stories within the main story and great characters. Thanks for sharing!!! I couldn't get my nose out of it today to pm next in line but will do so now. Should be on its way shortly. Will do release note when it is on the way.

Journal Entry 21 by deereads at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Thursday, August 27, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (8/26/2009 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

On its way by airmail....should be there soon!!!

Journal Entry 22 by yvensong from Reno, Nevada USA on Thursday, September 3, 2009
This was in my mailbox last night. Perfect timing as I had just finished reading my last Bookray novel.

Journal Entry 23 by yvensong from Reno, Nevada USA on Monday, September 21, 2009
I really, really liked this story! I've only read a couple of other Laymon books, and so far, this is my favorite.

This is classic horror, not a typical vampire story. The pacing kept me wanting to know what was going to happen next. Is the body that Larry Dunbar, his wife and friends found, the body of a vampire? We follow the mystery with Dunbar as he finds out who she is and who may have put the stake in her. He tells himself that he's doing the research to help solve a horrendous crime and to write a non-fiction narrative that his friend has convinced will take him beyond the minor horror writer that he is.

Being an up-and-coming writer myself, I resonated with Laymon's descriptions of Larry's self-doubts. I can't imagine any writer not asking the same questions at some point in their career. It made Larry feel real.

The sub-plot is disturbing and more horrifying in its realism. I do not wish to provide any spoilers here, so will not reveal any part of it; just to say that Laymon is the rare author that is willing to step outside some themes that mainstream horror writers tend to stay away from.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Jare!

I have sent a message to prollacct and will send the book along as soon as I hear back.

Journal Entry 24 by yvensong at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 10, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (10/10/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

I never heard back from the next reader. Per Jare, ok to send to another. I mailed this to Ladiibug today.

Journal Entry 25 by ladiibbug from Paradise, California USA on Thursday, October 15, 2009
10/15/09 RABCK rec'd here in No. California USA from Yvensong - thank you Yve & Jare for sharing! A Laymon RABCK just before Halloween? Heh, now THAT's perfect timing ;-) - TBR