Fair Warning: A Novel

by Robert Olen Butler | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by CdnBlueRose of Steinbach, Manitoba Canada on 2/17/2006
Journal Entry 1 by CdnBlueRose from Steinbach, Manitoba Canada on Friday, February 17, 2006
From Library Journal
In a novel based on an award-winning short story, the Pulitzer Prize-winning Butler (A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain) posits a theory: in this world, everyone must own or be owned. As a high-profile New York auctioneer, transplanted Texan Amy Dickerson knows this well. She sees it reflected both in the items she tempts her clients with and in her closest relationships. Amy has never allowed herself to be vulnerable to love, her sister's marriage is on the rocks, and her entire family struggles with the memory of her philandering father, who isolated his wife and carefully parceled out his emotions with his daughters. Amy's independence is tested by a gentle and sophisticated suitor who happens to be her new boss; he may or may not be able to break through her barriers. Butler is very much in romance-novel territory here, but he transcends the formula with his usual aptitude for finding exactly the right words to make the familiar patterns of love and desire seem fresh again. An excellent introduction to readers unfamiliar with Butler's work; highly recommended.

Journal Entry 2 by CdnBlueRose from Steinbach, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Picked up at the library sale specifically for swapping - not really my genre - offered at this morning's ALS and my sweet lil cheesy got it!! Mailing out to her today. I hope you enjoy it, cheesy - I think it sounds like a good book!

Journal Entry 3 by cheesygiraffe from Florence, Alabama USA on Thursday, March 2, 2006
Received today. Thanks my dear sweet Rosie. :)

Journal Entry 4 by cheesygiraffe from Florence, Alabama USA on Thursday, June 28, 2007
Drastically thinning out my TBR shelves and making this AVL.