The Story of Zahra : A Novel

by Hanan Al-Shaykh | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0385472064 Global Overview for this book
Registered by crazy-book-lady of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 2/6/2006
Journal Entry 1 by crazy-book-lady from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 6, 2006
From amazon:
Banned in several Arab nations, this rich tale mesmerizes with its frank sexuality and scenes of war-torn Beirut. Zahra is a misfit mistreated by her mother, who brings her along to secret meetings with a lover, and by her father, a harsh disciplinarian who reacts angrily to her habit of picking at her pimpled face. She leaves her parents to stay with an uncle who has fled to Africa to escape being arrested for political activity. When his affection for her grows sexual, Zahra agrees to an unsuccessful marriage with his friend Majed. Eventually, she returns to Beirut, where "the war was like a weevil that had found its way into the heart of a huge bag of white flour and settled there," and begins meeting secretly to have sex with a man who may or may not be a rooftop sniper. A rotating first-person narrative gives everyone a voice; Zahra's is the most striking, but each character has memorable moments, as when Majed describes his adolescent arousal while reading Jane Eyre and seeing an illustration of the heroine kissing Mr. Rochester. Al-Shaykh ( Women of Sand and Myrrh ), a Lebanese writer now living in London, has a focused and original style.

Journal Entry 2 by crazy-book-lady from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 1, 2006
Reserverd for thegoaliegirl.

Journal Entry 3 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Monday, April 24, 2006
Picked this up at the Toronto Convention. I am looking forward to reading it after graduation, which is coming up very fast! Thanks for bringing this to the convention! It was so exciting to have all these books I want to read just handed to me!

Journal Entry 4 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Friday, March 23, 2007
Interesting story. Wasn't sure what to expect but it was very intriguing. Can't say it is my favorite but it stayed with me and was hard to put down.

Journal Entry 5 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Tuesday, April 3, 2007
Book went out in the mail today as a RABCK, so that it may continue in its travels.

Journal Entry 6 by Charly83 from Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Wednesday, April 11, 2007
The Book arrived yesterday. Thank you so much thegoaliegirl for this RABCK

Journal Entry 7 by Charly83 at Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Released 3 yrs ago (1/14/2019 UTC) at Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany

Das Buch macht sich nun als Rabck auf den Weg zu seinem nächsten Leser. Viel Freude damit!

Journal Entry 8 by book-a-billy at München, Bayern Germany on Friday, January 25, 2019
This book arrived at my house save and sound. Thanks a lot for sending it, Charly83.

Journal Entry 9 by book-a-billy at Penzberg, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, February 23, 2022
Hmmm, I couldn't understand Zahra and I don't think it was because I was brought up in a different culture by totally different parents and at peacetime. The story was nevertheless captivating and allowed me to immerse into a totally different world.
I liked the language in this book.

Released 1 mo ago (6/24/2022 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

Reist weiter zu Mary-T.

Journal Entry 11 by wingMary-Twing at Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, June 25, 2022
many thanks book-a-billy - I'm excited to read this!