O Jerusalem (Mary Russell Novels )

by Laurie R. King | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Antheras of Kitchener, Ontario Canada on 12/29/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Antheras from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 29, 2005
Amazon.com:
Although O Jerusalem is Laurie King's fifth book in her Holmes-Russell series, it actually takes us back to the era of her first book, The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Perhaps King was afraid that her characters, Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, were becoming too cozy as an old married couple, and she wanted to recreate the edgy sexual tension of their first encounter.

It's 1918. Nineteen-year-old Mary and her fiftysomething mentor are forced to flee England to escape a deadly adversary. Sherlock's well-connected brother Mycroft sends them to Palestine to do some international sleuthing. Here, a series of murders threatens the fragile peace.

Laurie King connects us, through details of language, custom, history, and sensual impressions, to this very alien environment. Russell, Holmes, and two marvelously imagined Arab guides named Mahmoud and Ali trek through the desert and visit ancient monasteries clinging like anthills to cliffs. They also find time to take tea with the British military legend Allenby in Haifa and skulk through or under the streets of Jerusalem. King puts us into each scene so quickly and completely that her narrative flow never falters.

Stepping back in time also gives King a chance to show us Holmes through the eyes of a Russell not yet as full of love as a honeymooner, nor as complacent as a comfortable wife. "There it was--sardonic, superior, infuriating," Mary says about Holmes's voice at one point.

Wisdom is knowing when, and how much, to shake things up--even in a successful series. Laurie King is a wise woman indeed.

Journal Entry 2 by Antheras from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 19, 2006
sending to HallieK as part of the "Love a Good Mystery" relay.

Journal Entry 3 by HallieK from Austin, Texas USA on Monday, June 5, 2006
Got this in the mail on Friday. My mom's read a few of these and likes them, so I'm looking forward to checking this out. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by HallieK at HEB @ McNeil & Parmer in Austin, Texas USA on Saturday, January 12, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (1/12/2008 UTC) at HEB @ McNeil & Parmer in Austin, Texas USA