The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

by Douglas Adams | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by gerbie7 of Goor, Overijssel Netherlands on 12/27/2005
Journal Entry 1 by gerbie7 from Goor, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, December 27, 2005
Douglas Adams – The hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy (05-063)

Ages I managed to avoid this book, which has been recommended to me several times since 1988. 17 years later I finally gave in. I’m glad I did.

The book has been based on the radio series, I’ll have to download those someday soon I guess. The television adaptation bored me and after two episodes I gave it a miss. I’m not sure about the movie.

Yet I enjoyed reading the book. I still find it difficult to read about life on several planets, spaceships, and people with several heads etcetera. But to me Adams’ humour is the most important in his book, the galaxy just happens to be the setting. The Infinite Improbability Drive makes a lot of things possible. I found out about a babel fish, nowadays more famous as a website. A Paranoid Android is known by every Radiohead fan in this world, but also started his life in this book.

Many funny remarks do have deeper meanings; at least, one could read a lot of criticism in Adams’ book. Apart from that it is a funny story, for anyone with a sense of humour at least. British sense of humour that is, exactly the type I adore since my English is good enough to not have to rely on subtitles and translators.

I admit: I made a mistake when I ignored this book for decades. I have already bought the next books in the series and I am sure I will read them all.

Number: 05-063
Title: The hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy
Author: Douglas Adams
Language: English
Year: 1979
# Pages: 180 (12064)
Category: SciFi
ISBN: 0-330-25864-8

Released 15 yrs ago (5/20/2006 UTC) at Post Office in By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Send to Katayoun as part of a trade.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Saturday, June 3, 2006
thank you so much for the surprise books in addition to the trade, hope asterix gets there soon... and wow yours really did fly, didn't it?!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Thursday, June 15, 2006
reserved for darkpunkangel, part of the "Geographically Unrestricted - BBC Top 100 Relay-" relay.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkatayounwing at Bookrelay in BookRelay.Com, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 1, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (7/1/2006 UTC) at Bookrelay in BookRelay.Com, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases

on it's way to darkpunkangel, part of the "Geographically Unrestricted - BBC Top 100 Relay-" relay.
it should be there in a month at most, 10 days at best!! (touch wood! touch wood!)

Journal Entry 6 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 5, 2006
Thanks, the book arrived July 6th. Man, that was fast.

TBR

Journal Entry 7 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 31, 2008
This was an awesome book, can't wait to continue the series.

Journal Entry 8 by darkpunkangel at Japanese Embassy in Piccadilly, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 21, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (4/21/2008 UTC) at Japanese Embassy in Piccadilly, Greater London United Kingdom

Right beside the hours on the right side.