The God of small things

by Arundhati ROY | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by vibrant-art on 10/19/2005
Journal Entry 1 by vibrant-art on Wednesday, October 19, 2005
from the book jacket:
"Set mainly in Kerala, India, in 1969, 'The God of Small Things' is the story of Rahel and her twin brother Estha, who learn that their whole world can change in a single day, that love and life can be lost in a moment. Armed only with the invincible innocence of children, they seek to craft a childhood for themselves amid the wreckage that constitutes their family..."

This novel won the 1997 Booker Prize.

TBR next and then will travel on a bookring ....

Usual bookring rules....
Please journal as soon as you get the book, and then again just before sending it on. Please email the next on the list when you're nearly done reading the book so you can get the address. Please try and keep the book for about 4--6 weeks; do PM me to keep me up to date and contact me if you have any questions or any trouble reaching the next person on the list.

This is an international ring; please include your shipping preferences and your location in your message. I will try and accomodate shipping preferences--the list order may change.

Here's the list:

KansasKiwi (USA/pref. USA)
heartsong2 (USA--pref. North America)
ababaigalit (Israel/int'l)
Izzles (UK/ pref. Europe)***book has arrived/jan 06
fingerart (UK/pref. Europe)
(*please note: chich has asked to be removed from the list....)
Kanapoutz (France/int'l)
babyimran (Malaysia/int'l)
wavelength (Malaysia/int'l)
vibrant-art (back to me...Canada)

*************************************************
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 2 by KansasKiwi on Friday, November 18, 2005
Received today. Thanks, vibrant-art, I'll read it soon!

Journal Entry 3 by KansasKiwi on Monday, November 21, 2005
Disappointing. I enjoyed the first couple of chapters but then found the flowery writing to be repetetive and tedious.

Mailed today to heartsong2, USPS Media Mail.
Delivery Confirmation number:
0305 1720 0000 1220 7950

Journal Entry 4 by heartsong2 on Friday, November 25, 2005
Returned from Thanksgiving holiday and this was waiting for me! This is on my "literature, arts, and medicine" reading list, so I'm looking forward to reading it! Good news is I can get started right away. Will be reading it this weekend between cleaning house and decorating for Christmas!

Journal Entry 5 by heartsong2 on Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Just finished reading. One of those books that leaves me in a stunned silence, so many things to think about.

Her use of the English language is amazing. I enjoyed the lyric quality in her sentences.

I have become very fascinated by Indian culture over the past couple years. After reading Transplanted Man, A Fine Balance, and now this, and also the movie Monsoon Wedding.

Thank you so much for sharing. I really enjoyed it. Will post to ababaigalit in am.

Journal Entry 6 by heartsong2 on Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Posted surface mail to ababaigalit this morning, 11/30/05!

Journal Entry 7 by ababaigalit from Modi'in, Israel Israel on Thursday, December 8, 2005
Today I went to the post office to receive, here in Israel you have get mail that is in a package from the post office I' ll start the book right away so that the bookring will continue. Thanks again for allowing me to be part of this bookring vibrant-art and that was fast heartsong2.

Journal Entry 8 by ababaigalit from Modi'in, Israel Israel on Saturday, December 31, 2005
Well I finished the book yesterday, sorry that it took so long, but to tell you truth I am not so fanatic of Indian books. It’s the second Indian book and I decided to give at a chance I am one of these people that when they start a book have to finish it no mater what.
The truth is that the author honestly tried to face the major cultural dilemmas of post-colonial India ; what all are to remain 'pure' and untouched and what all are to be sold? a novel is about story-telling and she hasn't yet learnt that. There is no underlying rhythm in the time-travels we encounter all so very often.
Thanks again vibrant-art for including me to these ring and thank you heartsong2 for sending it so fast with the beautiful post card. I will be sending the book to Izzles in the United Kingdom tomorrow. (We in Israel, well have parties for the New Year, but on the 1st of January we work).
I wish to all of you that took and take part of this bookring to have a peaceful, healthy, loving new year with a lot of reading.

Journal Entry 9 by ababaigalit from Modi'in, Israel Israel on Tuesday, January 3, 2006
I know I promised that I'll send the book Sunday, well I posted by air mail to Izzles in England, Southampton
Hampshire. Enjoy the book.

Journal Entry 10 by Izzles from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 10, 2006
This arrived yesterday, along with a beautiful bookmark so thank you very much to ababaigalit!

Journal Entry 11 by Izzles from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 18, 2006
I enjoyed this book, both the language and the switches in time worked well; I like the style of setting up the end early and then working backwards. I loved the twin’s fun with language, speaking words backwards and using capitalisation to dramatise statements e.g. 'Doing Something They Shouldn't Be'.

23/01/06 - Sent to fingerart

Journal Entry 12 by fingerart from Romsey, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Received today, thanks a lot Izzles. Will get onto reading this today.

Journal Entry 13 by fingerart from Romsey, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 21, 2006
I enjoyed this book. Beautiful language, it was the kind of words people say in their heads, their own language, it worked well.
Will send on tomorrow.

Journal Entry 14 by KanaPoutz from Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Monday, March 13, 2006
Got the book, thanks! Really nice cover!

Journal Entry 15 by KanaPoutz from Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Thursday, April 27, 2006
Finished the book a couple of days ago... for the first half, I was really annoyed with the way the book is constructed around the ending, but then I got caught in the story and really enjoyed it. I liked the atmosphere, but it's all so very sad... these poor twins and their mother broken like that.

Anyway, I'd been wanting to read this for a long time, so thanks a lot vibrant-art, I'll send the book to Malaysia at the beginning of next week (sent 02/05/06).

Journal Entry 16 by babyimran from Kajang, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Friday, May 26, 2006
I just received the book an hour ago. The only problem now is I have two books waiting to be read for a discussion. PLUS I have just started my masters program so I am really short in leisure time. But not to worry, will try to read it and if I am delaying the ring, I'll pass on the book to the next person. More from me later.

July 10 - I am very sad to say that I could not find any time to read the book. Not only am I busy with my class assignments, but my brother just announced that he wants to get engage a few weeks back. We had a small make-do for him. I am trying to reach the next person in line. I'm sending her another PM and if she does not reply I will go to the next person.