The God of small things

by Arundhati ROY | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by valentina1209 of Bethpage, New York USA on 10/23/2005
Journal Entry 1 by valentina1209 from Bethpage, New York USA on Sunday, October 23, 2005
Book Description

The story of the tragic decline of an Indian family whose members suffer the terrible consequences of forbidden love, The God of Small Things is set in the state of Kerala, on the southernmost tip of India. Armed only with the invincible innocence of children, the twins Rahel and Esthappen fashion a childhood for themselves in the shade of the wreck that is their family -- their lonely, lovely mother, Ammu (who loves by night the man her children love by day), their blind grandmother, Mammachi (who plays Handel on her violin), their beloved uncle Chacko (Rhodes scholar, pickle baron, radical Marxist, bottom-pincher), their enemy, Baby Kochamma (ex-nun and incumbent grandaunt), and the ghost of an imperial entomologist's moth (with unusually dense dorsal tufts).

When their English cousin and her mother arrive on a Christmas visit, the twins learn that Things Can Change in a Day. That lives can twist into new, ugly shapes, even cease forever. The brilliantly plotted story uncoils with an agonizing sense of foreboding and inevitability. Yet nothing prepares you for what lies at the heart of it.

Journal Entry 2 by valentina1209 at on Saturday, March 11, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (3/11/2006 UTC) at

trading with pinklady60 for The Drowning Season

Journal Entry 3 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Thursday, March 30, 2006
Received from valentina1209 as part of a trade. Thank you! I love books about the Indian culture, but haven't read anything by this author. I'll be looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 4 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Monday, July 10, 2006
The story centers around a family tragedy and the lasting effect it has on the twins, Rahel and Estha.

The author's original style, her overuse of similes, Strange Capitalizations, and the complex story lines had me wondering if I would complete this book. At one point I went back to the beginning and wrote down the names and descriptions/relationships of each character. This helped immensely in keeping each one straight, but I still struggled to figure out the plot and the time lines. However, by the end of the book, all the pieces of the puzzle seemed to fit together, and I can honestly say that I'm glad I persevered, because I was rewarded with some beautiful, poetic writing.

Journal Entry 5 by pinklady60 at on Saturday, August 19, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (8/19/2006 UTC) at

Sent to BMVCOE - - a winner in my 6th retirement anniversary drawing.

Journal Entry 6 by BMVCOE from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Thursday, August 31, 2006
Thanks pinklady60, and I hope you continue to enjoy your retirement! I'm very excited to receive this book, as I'm always trying to read authors from other countries so I can build up a collection of modern world literature for when I teach. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze this into all the other reading I have to do for school.

Journal Entry 7 by BMVCOE from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Friday, September 15, 2006
This book can be confusing as it's not written in a linear style--if anything, it's a spiral, as we hear of the horrible effects of the Things That Can Change in a Day and then see the family's past and future until we get to see the event itself that sparked the whole thing. But once you stop fighting the current of the story and just let it unfold, it's a marvelous ride: "It is after all so easy to shatter a story. To break a chain of thought. To ruin a fragment of a dream being carried around carefully like a piece of porcelain. To let it be, to travel with it...is much the harder thing to do."

The twins Rahel and Estha have their own language and way of thinking about the world that infuriates the adults around them but is very interesting for the reader. It also lends itself to such wonderful moments as: "The sun shone through the Plymouth window directly down at Rahel. She closed her eyes and shone back at it." Beautiful language and imagery, and an interesting puzzle fit together that is well worth the difficulties reading it.

Journal Entry 8 by BMVCOE at College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia USA on Monday, November 13, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (11/14/2006 UTC) at College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia USA

Jones 307.
Released in class as part of my Ed Tech presentation on BookCrossing.

If you’ve found this book, congratulations and welcome to BookCrossing, a free international community of friendly readers! You’ve become a part of this book’s journey. Please take a moment to write a Journal Entry and let its previous owners know where it’s been traveling. Then read it (or not, depending on your tastes and free time) and send it on its way! If you join the site, please consider using me, BMVCOE, as your referring member. You may remain anonymous if you wish, and your privacy is guaranteed. Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, February 22, 2007
I haven't finished the book, but am nearing the end. It's at times confusing, and I've been waiting the whole book to find out this one thing that happens - which is talked about from the beginning. It's hard to fully understand the characters or what's going on because of the one lapse in information that takes reading the whole book to find out. However, with that said....it is an excellent read if you're patient. Thank you to the reader who wrote down the quasi-family tree and kept it in the book - SUCH a help!

CAUGHT IN WILLIAMSBURG VA USA