The Book of the Banshee

by Anne Fine | Children's Books |
Registered by Hero of Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on 8/12/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Hero from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, August 12, 2005
I picked this up at the fete and enjoyed it quite a bit. The resolution of familial problems might have been a bit easy, but there were many really funny bits, including ones about writing, and the characters were good as well. Sending to PDB11

Journal Entry 2 by PDB11 from Oakhill, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, September 5, 2005
I laughed and laughed all the way through this! I've not read much Anne Fine before - a couple of children's books and one rather silly teenage novel that I felt a bit guilty about liking - but this was excellent.

I think the characters were rather over-drawn, but the silly episodes at home and school were held together very well by the protagonist's linking everything to the war diaries he'd been reading. Clever device!

I agree with Hero about the too-easy resolution at the end, though. (And the literary device of having the narrator choose the author's name as a pen name is totally worn out, I think)

I seem to have several other books by Anne Fine on my TBR pile, and I think they'll be drifting to the top quite quickly now.

My thanks to Hero for lending me this. I think my mother would like to read this before I send it back.

Released 15 yrs ago (6/12/2006 UTC) at Claremont Methodist Church in Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Hero refused to accept this back, so I'm releasing it.

Somewhere in the Soar Valley Music Centre part of the building.

Journal Entry 4 by Nonny910 from Lutterworth, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 17, 2006
I caught the book in Soar Valley methodist church where i was abuot to take my Grade 2 Flute Exam, and I'm going to leave it at Argos in rugby clock towers on Wednesday 16th August
CAUGHT IN WARWICKSHIRE LEAVING IN LEICSTERSHIRE

P.S Proceed this book wiht caution!