No Shitting in the Toilet

by Peter Moore | Travel |
Registered by SKingList of New York City, New York USA on 7/8/2005
Journal Entry 1 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Friday, July 8, 2005
Wander Inn, Bunbury

Whee, finally got his last book! :-D To be sent out as a ray once I've read.

From Amazon:
There are two things you really don't want to see in life. One is your parents having sex. The other is the state of the kitchen in restaurants catering for backpackers...

Taking its title from a sign on the loo door of a dodgy café in remotest China and based on his award-winning website, Peter Moore's NSITT is not really a normal travel guide. It might look like one in its choice of topics and structure (with chapters ranging from Visas and Health to Eating, Drinking, Transport and Travelling Companions) but it's quite the opposite. Instead of practical hints, NSITT gives you impractical ones; rather than tell you the best places to stay, it singles out the worst, and instead of celebrating transcendental travel experiences, it rejoices in the most demeaning ones.

Encapsulating the author's own travel philosophy: that things never quite turn out as expected, NSITT is the guide to the sort of world where you're more likely to find a cockroach on your pillow than a complimentary mint - a world where everything that can go wrong does, and yet you still end up loving every minute of it!

Journal Entry 2 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Friday, July 8, 2005
SKingList
Sally906 - NT
AmberC - NT
Julezann - SA
Eaten by Australia Post

In a year of BookCrossing, my only book to be lost to Australia Post. Luckily Sabavana had a copy and has re-started the ring.

Journal Entry 3 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Monday, July 25, 2005
I haven't finished this book yet, but he's making me laugh and want to throw books, ie typical Peter Moore.
He's no longer anti Canberra but obscenely anti Brisbane and New York. The New York thing pisses me off because I can't find from any of his stories that he's actually ever been there. And I'm also annoyed at yesterday's anti American tour guide, but anyway...

Loved his anecdotes and stories because we've all done such stupid stuff while travelling.

Right, off to finish this and hand over to Sally906 next week in Darwin :)

Journal Entry 4 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Thursday, July 28, 2005
Honestly, I'm not sure what I thought about this book. It was typical Peter Moore in many sesnses but in others I think he's getting even more obnoxious. He actually has been to the States so I can't fault him, but the attacks on NY got old really quick. There were other times I was really laughing my ass off at the stupid things people, including myself, do while travelling.

One thing that really baffled me was his comments on how journals are such a waste of time and nothing worth doing. Can't imagine not journalling the trips I do. Anyway, off to Sally next Saturday in Darwin.

Journal Entry 5 by sally906 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Saturday, August 6, 2005
Handed to me at the Darwin meetup - I have read all of Moore's books except this one - so looking forwards to it.

More a collection of ancidotes (sp?)and helpful tips - some matter of fact - others funny - most tongue in cheek with a hint of truth :)

Am passing onto AmberC tomorrow

Journal Entry 6 by sally906 at her house in By hand, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Released 16 yrs ago (8/10/2005 UTC) at her house in By hand, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Handing to amberC

Journal Entry 7 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Sally brought it to me as i didn't make the meetup

Journal Entry 8 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, August 14, 2005
i now have a list of places not to go and things not to do if i ever get to travel overseas.

funny in places, annoying at times.

thanks for sharing SKingList

off to Julezann tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by Julezann from Elizabeth, South Australia Australia on Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Received yesterday from AmberC. Will read it as soon as possible... looking forward to it! :-)

Journal Entry 10 by Julezann at on Thursday, October 6, 2005

Released 16 yrs ago (10/6/2005 UTC) at

On it's way to Puppymummy (finally!)

Well... I feel cruddy about the loss of the book. I posted 3 books that day and have had no notes from any of them. They were all carefully wrapped in brown paper and stamped with correct postage and included a postcard of the place they were coming from and placed carefully in a red post box on my way to work. I'm really sorry for the loss of this book and also the other 2 if they have also gone missing... although I have not heard one way or the other. I did contact the post office and they said that several boxes in this area had suffered vandalism around that time but could be no more helpful than that. So again... I am deeply sorry. :(

Journal Entry 11 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Saturday, February 18, 2006
Well, we know Australia Post appreciates this book since it's hanging onto it for some time. Sabavana has offered to replace the ray, new BC-ID to be linked here as soon as I get it.

Journal Entry 12 by SKingList from New York City, New York USA on Sunday, February 19, 2006
New ring is here, thanks to Sabavana!

Have added original participants back in same order as it was due to end in Sydney anyway.

Happy Reading and thanks again Sabavana for rescuing this!

Journal Entry 13 by lostbookisland on Monday, March 6, 2006
It looks like this book has fallen victim to the postal service and is lost out there somewhere in the unknown. Hopefully the Lost Book Island can offer this travel weary book some much needed rest and relaxation as it is welcomed to our shores.

This book will get the chance to frolic on the beach with the other books and have the opportunity to take long naps in lounge chairs on the beach. The cool and refreshing fruity drinks are always available to the wayward books as they sleep during the day and party the night away in our many choices of clubs and nightly parties.

Hopefully one day this book will get the journal entry that will allow it to return to the BookCrossing fold and others will further get to delight in its stories of travels thoughout the land.