The God of small things

by Arundhati ROY | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 7/1/2005
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, July 1, 2005
Got this book off of titletrader.

From Chapters:
In her first novel, award-winning Indian screenwriter Arundhati Roy conjures a whoosh of wordplay that rises from the pages like a brilliant jazz improvisation. The God of Small Things is nominally the story of young twins Rahel and Estha and the rest of their family, but the book feels like a million stories spinning out indefinitely; it is the product of a genius child-mind that takes everything in and transforms it in an alchemy of poetry. The God of Small Things is at once exotic and familiar to the Western reader, written in an English that's completely new and invigorated by the Asian Indian influences of culture and language.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 2, 2006
One word can describe this book: BORING!
Yes, Roy is an excellent writer. But when your writing has a plot that can't be followed because of all the similies and metaphores, what is the point? There were enough metaphores to drown in. That stuff usually goes over my head to begin with, but in this crazy abundance I got fed up very quickly.
I ended up just skimming through some pages, which means I didn't understand the ending at all. And I'm not too sad about it! If someone who gets this books cares to explain what happened in their journal entry I would be much appreciative!

I can understand why this novel won the Booker Prize. Those books are usually very dry, but always well written. This one fits the mold.
However, the BBC list? Can't understand it!

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 5, 2006
Sent off today to giz-angel.

Journal Entry 4 by Giz-angel from Greenwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, April 6, 2006
Lauren *blush* thanks so much for sending me this, due to a mix up I got a copy from my Valentine's Day relays swap partner too, so I've read it. I totally agree with your JE - WHY was this voted into the Top 100 Reads? I SOOOOOO struggled with it. Anyway, I shall pass this one on to someone else who hopefully will like it more than we did LOL

Journal Entry 5 by KarinAlyssa on Thursday, May 11, 2006
Received the book in the Canada Post bag for dommaged parcels and I was afraid that the book was in a bad state, but no the enveloppe was simply torn at some crucial places, but the book was safe. Thanks Giz for sharing it through BookRelay ! Also thanks for the comment Lauren and Giz !!! This book was on my wishlist because it looked interesting, now I hope I will enjoy it better than you did.

Journal Entry 6 by KarinAlyssa on Monday, May 21, 2007
This book is not that boring ! It is well written and I must say the images that Arundhati Roy evoked were whimsical. However, I have to admit that it is not a book I truly enjoyed. The story, while good with possibilities of being great, got muddled with all the going and coming from the past to the future and the present, I almost got a headache at some point and I had to stop reading ! I understand why it won so many awards because the story in itself is awesome, the writing is well done, but the overalle effect is ruined.

thanks Giz for sharing such a good book !

Journal Entry 7 by KarinAlyssa at By Mail in BookRelay.Com, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 24, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (5/24/2007 UTC) at By Mail in BookRelay.Com, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases

May Inkling - Krin

Journal Entry 8 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Saturday, June 2, 2007
Arrived today - thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Monday, June 30, 2008
I wasn't sure what to think about this book when I finished. While it was beautifully written, the plot was sometimes hard to understand. Yet, weeks later as I think about it, I appreciate more the intricate story of the twins Rahel and Estha, and what happened when their cousin Sophie Mol visited one summer.

Journal Entry 10 by krin511 at on Saturday, July 5, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (7/5/2008 UTC) at

Mailed to chambejd!!!

Journal Entry 11 by chambejd from Millbury, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Hmmm... Interesting journal entries! I'm looking forward to reading this and seeing what I think of it. Thanks for sharing it with me, krin.