Little Children

by Tom Perrotta | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lightwavz of Detroit, Michigan USA on 5/25/2005
Journal Entry 1 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Wednesday, May 25, 2005
I was sort of hoping that this would be as scathing as "Election" and it was endorsed by Buffalo Tom... I was disappointed. It was almost too real to be satire. Or too satire to be satire? Whatever it was I was looking for, I didn't get it. Or maybe it was just timing. This glimpse of the 'burbing of America was very on-target, nevertheless. Held for a fellow BCr as an RABCK.

Journal Entry 2 by fanclub on Tuesday, July 26, 2005
Found this little surprise waiting in my mailbox today ... thank you so much for sending me this!!! And just in time for my birthday, too! :)

Journal Entry 3 by fanclub on Friday, August 19, 2005
I liked this. Not a lot, but more than a little. I would be willing to read more of his work because I have heard he is a good satirist, but I must agree that this didn't seem very satire-y. It just seemed realistic, which I guess is sad. It sorta reminded me of American Beauty, where the characters all thought they wanted something and none of them had it quite right.

*8/19/05: Mailing off to a fellow BCer as part of a trade.

Journal Entry 4 by ekgv414 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, September 20, 2005
Received today. Thanks, fanclub!

I'm going on a trip this weekend, so I'll bring this one along for plane reading. :)

Journal Entry 5 by ekgv414 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 26, 2005
I actually did really enjoy this one, but no time to write about it. Maybe I will when I release it.

Journal Entry 6 by ekgv414 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Sending to Ed (pasquinade) in Virginia.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, October 22, 2005
Received via RABCK from ekgv414 (thanks). I loved "Election" and am so looking forward to reading this one.

CAUGHT IN OCCOQUAN VA UNITED STATES

Journal Entry 8 by pasquinade from Occoquan, Virginia USA on Saturday, October 22, 2005
Although I saw the movie "Election," this is the first Perrotta book I've read. It didn't meet my expectations, but it was good.

Released 16 yrs ago (4/17/2006 UTC) at To Another Bookcrossing Member in By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Off to dg7500 as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 10 by wingdg7500wing from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, April 20, 2006
This lovely surprise arrived in today's mail. THANK YOU for the RABCK!

Journal Entry 11 by wingdg7500wing from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, August 4, 2006
This was not at all what I was expecting. I have to agree w/ previous readers...I didn't find this to be satire at all, but more a slice of everyday suburbia. I might, at some point, try reading more by this author, but won't be rushing right out to find more of his books.

Reserving for DoveiLibri

Journal Entry 12 by wingdg7500wing at A Trade in Trade, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 14, 2006

Released 16 yrs ago (8/14/2006 UTC) at A Trade in Trade, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to DoveiLibri. Thanks for the lovely trade. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by wingDove-i-Libriwing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, August 18, 2006
Thank you so much! This came in today's mail, along with The Book of Ruth (Link). They have both been on my wish list for a long time!

Anyway, it may be quite a while before you hear from this book again because it's going onto a mountain of books to be read. When I'm done reading it, though, I'll be sure to make a journal entry and share it with someone else!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
January 3, 2014: Found this gem in the deep recesses of Mount TBR! Added it to the short list today!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
January 24, 2014: A description of the book from the author's website:

Meet Todd (the handsome stay-at-home dad dubbed "The Prom King" by the moms at the playground,) and his wife, Kathy, a documentary filmmaker envious of the connection Todd has forged with their toddler son. And there's Sarah, a lapsed feminist surprised to find she's become a typical wife in a traditional marriage, and her husband, Richard, who is becoming more and more involved with an internet fantasy life than with his own wife and child. And then there's Mary Ann, who has life all figured out, down to a scheduled roll in the hay with her husband every Tuesday at nine P.M.

They all raise their kids in the kind of quiet suburb where nothing ever seems to happen— until one eventful summer, when a convicted child molester moves back to town, and two parents begin an affair that goes further than either of them could ever have imagined.

February 26, 2014: Will be on its way to eastbaybookmisr as a RABCK when I'm finished reading it!

March 2, 2014: Started reading this today!

March 10, 2014: Finished today! I really enjoyed the story-telling, liked all of the characters, even the ones I think he DIDN'T want us to like, and was sad to see the story end. Wanted to know MORE! Lots of loose ends weren't tied up tightly enough for me to feel as if the story was really FINISHED. And? WAS it satire? I'm not too sure! Off to the next reader!

Journal Entry 14 by wingDove-i-Libriwing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, March 10, 2014

Released 8 yrs ago (3/12/2014 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent to eastbaybookmisr via media mail!☺ Happy Traveling, Book! ☺

Journal Entry 15 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Saturday, March 29, 2014
"Caught" this in the mail today as a Wishlist RABCK! Thank you!

2004 St. Martin's trade paperback. This was on my list of best modern books to read.

I can let this go after I read:
1998 Election [read 2014]

Edit September 27, 2022: This was good, but I just skimmed to end for time. I currently have this ranked at #2379 on my ranked list of best-read books lately.

Released 2 mos ago (9/27/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library at 5871 Skyline Blvd. in Oakland, California USA

... in the box.

The Big Tech cabal unfairly shadow-bans and twists a narrative agenda against real freedom truth-tellers like Anni, but please look her up anyway on Google, DuckDuckGo, and YouTube, etc., and make a compassionate judgment. You can also follow her on Facebook and Instagram, among other platforms.