The Portable Beat Reader

by Ann Charters, Editor | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by HallieK of Austin, Texas USA on 5/7/2005
Journal Entry 1 by HallieK from Austin, Texas USA on Saturday, May 7, 2005
Through poetry, fiction, essays, song lyrics, letters, and memoirs, this authoritative single-volume collection of Beat literature captures the triumphant energy of a movement that swept through American letters with hurricane force.
Featuring: Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, William Burroughs, Gary Snyder, Neal Cassady, Gregory Corso, Diane Di Prima, Bob Dylan, Ken Kesey, Charles Bukowski, Michael McClure, and more.

Journal Entry 2 by HallieK from Austin, Texas USA on Saturday, May 7, 2005
I love to flip through this collection. I have my own copy and picked this one up at a friend's garage sale to release or share. There are some great works and excerpts in here from some truly amazing and fantastic authors. My husband and I, both English majors, wrote our senior seminar papers on some of the Beats. Strangely, no one else at the school had apparently ever written their sem on any of the Beats even though the library has a Kerouac collection.

Journal Entry 3 by HallieK from Austin, Texas USA on Sunday, May 8, 2005
Offering this as a bookring with On the Road.

Mailing order:
5. marikab (Philippines)
6. mjfouss (US)
7. back to me!

Mailed out 5/21/2005.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, July 11, 2005
Thanks HallieK.Both books have finally arrived safely in the UK. As I have already read 'On the road' ages ago I will concentrate on this one.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, August 22, 2005
I must say this book is quite a daunting read and I have by all means not read every single chapter as that would take me another year :o)I read upon people I knew like Ginsberg, Dylon, Bukowkski and Kerouac's daughter. It gave me a much better insight into the Beat generation and since I love music and songwriters as well, Bob Dylon's lyrics certainly touched a vibe with me - they have lost nothing of their power over these many years !! Thanks HallieK for sharing this book

I have PM'd wordster a few times but had no reply so far so will PM eatsletters soon as to not keep this bookring from moving on further.

Journal Entry 6 by eatsletters on Friday, September 2, 2005
looking forward to reading it...

nothing better than having a beat book in your office mail on a crazy stressful friday...

Journal Entry 7 by eatsletters on Tuesday, September 20, 2005
oh, that might take a while, it's over 600 pages and very fragmented, so I guess have to read it bit by bit while skipping the parts I already know.

Journal Entry 8 by eatsletters on Tuesday, October 4, 2005
oh wow, what an overwhelming collection!

I am still not that big a fan of poetry, but I read all the prose entries. I've come across several names of authors I hadn't heard of till then, so there will be more to check out in the future...

I was deeply impressed by HOWL and will copy it before the book travels on.

This book is such a great read when you are overburdened by a conventional life with a conventional office job...

Journal Entry 9 by MaggieCassidy on Monday, November 21, 2005
The books finally arrived and made me very happy!
I'll try to finish reading them as soon as possible, so that they'll be on the road again soon, travelling to the next person of the ring.

Journal Entry 10 by marikab from Quezon City, not specified not specified on Wednesday, April 25, 2007
just got the book by mail. thanks to maggie and halliek. it's arrival was unexpected and was such a lovely surprise :)

Journal Entry 11 by HallieK from Austin, Texas USA on Saturday, May 10, 2008