Pagan Babies and Other Catholic Memories

by Gina Cascone | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by lovemylife of Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on 2/26/2005
Journal Entry 1 by lovemylife from Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, February 26, 2005
Do nuns have legs? Is "Original Sin" the starter sin for novices? Can the rosary be said in less than 15 minutes? These questions may be answered as the author makes her way through the rigors of Catholic education.

Journal Entry 2 by Mountainwren from Bethesda, Maryland USA on Friday, March 4, 2005
What a welcome surprise at the end of a stressful work day! Thanks so much for the RABCK. I will read it and pass it along.

Journal Entry 3 by Mountainwren from Bethesda, Maryland USA on Tuesday, November 8, 2005
A child's-eye view of Catholic school, pre Vatican II. Gina, equal parts rebellion and eagerness to please, puzzles through the contradictions of her faith, at least as it's explained by the nuns who teach at her school.

The book would probably be a hoot for someone who experienced that kind of education, but with my 1980s public school/CCD once a week, I couldn't always relate. Strangely, my mother grew up in the same area of New Jersey during the same time period as Cascone, and also attended many years of Catholic school. However, she speaks mostly fondly of her school experience, except for the rare harsh or unfair teacher. One of my mother's teachers, a nun, remains a very close family friend fifty years later. Cascone's experience seems the reverse - she has kind words for only one priest, and none of the nuns who taught her. To each her own!

My original plan, before reading the book, was to release at my church, but I now realize I shouldn't do that. Instead I think I may donate to our library booksale shelf, where it will be chosen by a reader who is comfortable with the material.

Thank you for the chance to read this book. My favorite quotation:
"There was no way to keep eyes downcast in the Vatican, nor any way to feel humble. The splendor demanded not only attention, but also communion. Here, in the church of churches, was man's greatest tribute to God, not subjugation, but the glory of achievement. And hee, being human was not something to apologize for, but something to be proud of."

Journal Entry 4 by Mountainwren at Olney Public Library in Olney, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 12, 2005

Released 17 yrs ago (11/12/2005 UTC) at Olney Public Library in Olney, Maryland USA

"Never Judge a Book by Its Cover" challenge release, week 47: steps.

On the booksale shelf.

Dear Finder: Welcome to BookCrossing! Thanks for taking the time to visit the site. Please make a journal entry to let me know that you have found this book. If you are new to BookCrossing and choose to join, please indicate that you were referred by kristamd. BookCrossing is a great group to join – membership is free. Your name, email address, or other information will never be shared or sold.

Please take your time and read the book at your own pace. You can make a journal entry when you finish to record your thoughts about the book. Then, when you are ready to send it on its way, make a release note and leave it somewhere “in the wild” for another lucky reader to find. You are also welcome to pass the book along to someone you know, or keep it if you like.

Journal Entry 5 by 4Myrddin from Olney, Maryland USA on Friday, November 25, 2005
ok, but left out the really bizarre parts of the brainwashing.

Journal Entry 6 by 4Myrddin at Olney Public Library in Olney, Maryland USA on Saturday, June 17, 2006

Released 16 yrs ago (6/14/2006 UTC) at Olney Public Library in Olney, Maryland USA

goodbye little book--I hope someone gives you a good home!