Setting Free The Bears

by Irving, John | Humor |
ISBN: 0552992062 Global Overview for this book
Registered by tangledthreads of Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 2/7/2005
Journal Entry 1 by tangledthreads from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 7, 2005
Suzy the bear was one of my favourite characters from Irving's 'Hotel New Hampshire' (weird, but oddly compelling) so I was interested in finding out more about Irving's interest in bears as it seems to be a recurring theme within his fiction. However 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' REALLY put me off wading through another of his novels and although I did start this one, it didn't grab me so I didn't persevere. Just from the beginning, it struck me as more of a male-oriented book (although this is possibly true of my reaction to all of Irving's fiction I have read thus far) and it just didn't hold any appeal for me. Despite the zoo.

Journal Entry 2 by tangledthreads at on Monday, February 7, 2005

Released 17 yrs ago (2/8/2005 UTC) at

Releasing at Tuesday night Meetup at Flowerpot. Will leave on bookshelves at rear of pub if not picked up on the night...

Journal Entry 3 by optics from Derby, not specified not specified on Saturday, May 28, 2005
I persevered with this book in fact I found the start of the book most interesting, although the plot does not feel particually original it is a good story. Although good there is nothing in this that has made me think that it was great.

Journal Entry 4 by optics at on Tuesday, September 13, 2005