Conspiracy Club

by Jonathan Kellerman | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by rivkat of Washington, District of Columbia USA on 1/10/2005
Journal Entry 1 by rivkat from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Monday, January 10, 2005
The problem with this book is that nothing much happens. There’s a psychologist – not the usual one, another one, who lost the woman he loved to a horrific crime and is slowly coming out of his horrified shell – he’s different from Kellerman’s usual protagonist because he’s an orphan, he lacks a dog, and he lives in what appears to be Chicago, though I’m not 100% sure about that last. An older doctor at his hospital draws him into a small group of people who seem to have a fascination with violent crime and evil. What are they trying to do to him? Are they helping him find the monster who’s killing lots of women? The low peril-to-investigation ratio is clearly more realistic than the standard thriller, but it’s less fun, and the writing is so uninspired that I can’t recommend the book even for those of us who routinely read Kellerman.