Bee Season: A Novel

by Myla Goldberg | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by marinaw of Dripping Springs, Texas USA on 11/8/2004
Journal Entry 1 by marinaw from Dripping Springs, Texas USA on Monday, November 8, 2004
A duplicate of a copy I haven't gotten around to reading yet. Will include my thoughts here when I get to read the other copy.

From the back cover:
"Eliza Naumann has no reason to believe she is anything but ordinary, especially after her teachers place her in the class for slow learners. Her father, Saul, dotes on her older brother Aaron's rabbinical ambitions. Her mother, Miriam, seems fully absorbed by her law career. When a spelling bee threatens to reaffirm her mediocrity, Eliza amazes everyone: she wins. Her newfound gift garners an invitation not only to the national competition, but to ther father's sacred study where a new dictionary beckons, Jewish mysticism lurks in leather tomes, and language offers a spiritual awakening.
Eliza's unexpected success sends her off-kilter family into a tailspin, and Eliza comes to depend upon her own divination to hold her family together. With intense imagination and great emotional acuity, Bee Season evokes a child's desperate longing for praise and acceptance and is a masterful portrayal of modern family life."

Journal Entry 2 by marinaw at Triumph Cafe OBCZ -3808 Spicewood Springs Rd in Austin, Texas USA on Monday, November 8, 2004
Released on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 at about 7:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Triumph Cafe, Spicewood Springs Rd in Austin, Texas USA.

Bringing to MeetUp.

Journal Entry 3 by marinaw from Dripping Springs, Texas USA on Thursday, November 11, 2004
No takers at the MeetUp, so brought back home--I actually started reading this and got 40 pages in while waiting for others to show. Available for release as I do have another copy.

Journal Entry 4 by reddiemom from Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, December 14, 2004
Picked up at Meet Up. Really happy to luck in to this one, was my austinmama book club selection for Dec but did not get to go to book club meeting or have time to read book - now I can return the library's copy :D

Journal Entry 5 by reddiemom from Austin, Texas USA on Sunday, February 13, 2005
I enjoyed this all through the reading, but found the ending a bit of a disappointment. I'm not sure how I wanted it to end, but I do know I didn't want it to end the way it did. As a somewhat nonreligious person, the notion of someone headed to rabbinical school dropping out and becoming a hare krishna tickles my wicked bad funny bone...

Journal Entry 6 by reddiemom at LAN's Edge at Hwy 183/Burnet Road in Austin, Texas USA on Sunday, February 13, 2005

Released 17 yrs ago (2/14/2005 UTC) at LAN's Edge at Hwy 183/Burnet Road in Austin, Texas USA

Dropped off @ LANS EDGE BCZ

Journal Entry 7 by acl0026 from Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, March 1, 2005
I found this book in LANs Edge in Austin.

I haven't read this book yet. I am looking forward to it.