What Falls Away

by Mia Farrow | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by dulcinea99 on 10/28/2004
Journal Entry 1 by dulcinea99 on Thursday, October 28, 2004
A memoir told with grace as well as humor. Fascinating read.

Journal Entry 2 by dulcinea99 on Tuesday, November 2, 2004
promised to passonmybooks.

Journal Entry 3 by dulcinea99 at Post Office, see notes in New York City, New York USA on Thursday, November 4, 2004
Released on Thursday, November 04, 2004 at about 2:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at planetarium station post office in New York City, New York USA.

Dropped in the mail, headed to Iowa.

Journal Entry 4 by Passonmybooks from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Sunday, November 14, 2004
Sent to me via US mail. Thanks, Dulcinea99. I can't wait to read it, in fact, have started it already!

Journal Entry 5 by Passonmybooks from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Sunday, January 16, 2005
This is such a good book. I feel so sad about the way this lady's life has gone, as a result of the MEN she took up with, that I am sorry I didn't BUY the book to help her out. Fortunately, she makes a good living acting. This story is unforgettable.

Frank Sinatra married her when she was younger than his own children and naieve, then dumped her when he could no longer control her. Andre Previn had an affair with her while still married to someone else, got her pregnant, then eventually did marry her. Six children later, she realized he had no time for his family. During one entire year he spent fifteen whole uninterrupted days with them!

Then she comes across Woody Allen, who turns out to be a severely neurotic, self-absorbed child molester and by far the cruelest man she ever dealt with. I recommend this book very highly, partly as a cautionary tale to women! I don't read many autobiographies, but am definitely glad I read this one, and I am so glad she wrote it.

Journal Entry 6 by 1103waterstreet from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Monday, March 21, 2005
Received this book at recent Meet Up along with several others. Dipped into it and could not put it down. This weekend I kept talking about it to friends and have a person to pass it on to in mind.

Journal Entry 7 by 1103waterstreet from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Monday, March 21, 2005
Usually around March 17th I find myself watching John Wayne and Maureen O'Sullivan in THE QUIET MAN...I am Irish but not so close to the Emerald Isle as Mia Farrow. And like Mia I grew up in the 50's a little ahead of her time. She starts her book with an account of the end of childhood because of polio in 1954. The beginning of separtion from normal development...accentuated by her Hollywood home and the fame of her parents as well as numerous siblings....The Catholic church, convent education, periods of boarding school and then death of Michael, her oldest brother, parents grieving...she had a lonely exisitence. Likely saved by lively intellect and reading, reading, reading. After the death of her own father ( a dashing scamp with great academic and literay skills, but a womanizer too) Mia was flung into the world of acting....One of her early companions...Salvador Dali...not a lover but an influence, after Frank S. there was time in India with the Maharisia and meetings with Mother Thresa....Mia the convent girl who adopts children and gives birth to healthy ones works at taking care of the children and making a living through acting. The men in her life..Frank Sinatra, Andre Previn and Woody Allen???
It is not likely that any of them looked far enough to know who Mia is...Perhaps Mia does not know herself. She clings to making a home and taking care of children. The men in her life seem to have been very transient. The distance and the Irish way of not touching...A song to sooth after is in order, it is a hard life she says. Of course like all Irish we cling to the hearth and songs and the children....