First Term at Malory Towers

by Enid Blyton | Children's Books |
Registered by taniazed on 7/2/2004
Journal Entry 1 by taniazed on Friday, July 2, 2004
Scared and excited, Darrell Rivers has just arrived at Malory Towers. It's fantastic - but huge! How is she going to remember everyone's names, let alone fin dher way round? And will she ever have a special friend of her own?

Journal Entry 2 by taniazed on Saturday, January 29, 2005
THIS IS NOW A BOOKRING!!!

Participants

New list after confirming members of ring...
*Maresa (Germany) Europe pref. Intl if necc.
*bluecat07 (Germany) Intl surface
*Lobodyke (Kentucky, USA) US Only Intl if necessary
*tabby-cat-owner (Arizona, USA) Intl
back to taniazed

Journal Entry 3 by taniazed on Saturday, January 29, 2005
I just love this series! I read them as a kid so was really excited when I found out I was going to boarding school! Ended up having quite a few similarities, even though they were in different countries and different eras! I actually got a little teary at a couple of points in this book - but I think that's more because I didn't get enough sleep last night and am extremely tired! lol!

Journal Entry 4 by taniazed at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (9/24/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to Maresa In Germany to start the Malory Towers Spiral

Journal Entry 5 by Maresa from Bayreuth, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Thank you so mch for this books. They arrived yesterday and I will read tem very soon ;-)

Journal Entry 6 by Maresa from Bayreuth, Bayern Germany on Thursday, October 4, 2007
And the first term is over - very easy to read, even if I used the harder variation and read it togehter with the German translation. Not because I wouldn't get everything but because I wanted to compare. And I have to say: The original one is much, much better.

In Germany the "Malory Tower" books were first published in the 1960s, and the publisher really shorted the book, changed things - for example all of the characters have German names, even if the names are pronounced like the English ones; some of the descriptions were changed, like the schooluniform, in Germany it is blue instead of brown; and the German books don't have so many chapters - and so it was most interesting to read what Blyton really wrote.

I really like that book. It is so interesting, it is funny and it is so much Blyton ;-) Thank you very much for that bookring!

Journal Entry 7 by bluecat07 from Karben, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Arrived today safe and sound. Thanks for sending it, Maresa!

Journal Entry 8 by bluecat07 from Karben, Hessen Germany on Thursday, November 29, 2007
Just finished this yesterday. It was really nice to visit this world after more than ten years and it is fascinating to read all the original names not the German version.

5.12.07: Now on its way to drutt in Scotland.

Thanks for this ring, taniazed!

Journal Entry 9 by drutt from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 16, 2007
Received from bluecat07, along with a gorgeous postcard. Have just finished my previous read, so I'll get started on this straightaway. Will be fantastic to revisit a book I read so many years ago.

Journal Entry 10 by drutt from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 23, 2007
It was fantastic to read a book that I had read so many years ago and to be reminded of the characters I loved. Or couldn't stand - as was the case with Gwendoline. A terribly old-fashioned book with no shades of grey, but wonderful.

I've PM'd kitten99 for her address - will update when I send the books.

Journal Entry 11 by kitten99 from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Received from Drutt along with the 2nd book - I loved these when i was younger and can't wait to read them again!

Will journal again once I've read and the book is on its travels.

Journal Entry 12 by kitten99 from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, January 24, 2008
Wonderful to read this again after all these years - it certainly doesn't lose any of it's charm even when you know what's going to happen and although it's written for children it has a certain nostalgic appeal for adults as well.

Now winging it's way to Canada along with book 2 to join PRCS

Journal Entry 13 by Lobodyke from Bardstown, Kentucky USA on Sunday, March 16, 2008
I'm so excited to receive this bookring after all these years. I almost hate to admit it's been about 30 years since I read these, but Enid Blyton will always remain my favorite childhood writer. Thanks for starting the ring, taniazed! (By the way, I live in Kentucky not Virginia -- an understandable mistake.) I'll begin reading this as soon as I finish the main book I'm currently reading.

Released 13 yrs ago (4/10/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Although I stayed up half the night to read this book (and the second in the series), I somehow accidentally managed to send off #3 and 4 first, so this one (and #2) will be headed off today. Sorry about my oops!

Journal Entry 15 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing from Bellingham, Washington USA on Wednesday, April 23, 2008
received in the mail from lobodyke of Bardstown, Kentucky as part of a bookring.

Thank you, lobodyke, for mailing this and thank you, taniazed for sharing your books with us. I shall probably start reading this with my daughter very soon. We're almost done with "The Second Form at St. Clare's", another series written by Enid Blyton.

Journal Entry 16 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing from Bellingham, Washington USA on Sunday, June 8, 2008
My daughter and I just finished reading this book together. She enjoyed it, but misses the O'Sullivan twins which was our first exposure to Enid Blyton's boarding school books. The book got more interesting towards the end. Darrell, the main character in the book learns some important lessons and discovers the true meaning of friendship.

Journal Entry 17 by wingtabby-cat-ownerwing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 6, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (4/6/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

mailed back to taniazed of North Ringwood, Victoria, Australia to bring this book spiral to a close.

Thank you, taniazed, for sharing your books with us.