The World Below

by Sue Miller | Women's Fiction |
Registered by lellie of Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on 5/22/2004
Journal Entry 1 by lellie from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, May 22, 2004
Synopsis
Catherine Hubbard is at a crossroad in her San Francisco life. She is twice divorced - although she knows public opinion only seems to allow for one marital mistake - and her three children are grown and scattered. Then news comes that she has inherited her grandmother Georgia's home in Vermont. Putting her teaching job on hold, Catherine travels east to the house where she has frequently taken refuge, as a child from her mother's bouts of dementia and eventual suicide and later from the wreckage of her first marriage. Catherine finds in Vermont not only the ghosts of her own past but those of Georgia's as well. Diaries from the attic emerged of a young woman who had lost her own mother in her teens, who had been condemned to a sanitorium for tuberculosis, and there harboured a secret passion for a fellow patient. As Catherine increasingly comprehends the woman she has only ever known as a grandmother, she begins to feel as if she is living in two worlds, her own and Georgia's as a 'buried stream' below. With unforgettable characters so vivid you can almost see and touch them, THE WORLD BELOW is story telling at its most magical.

Journal Entry 2 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 23, 2004
Thank you Red House for sending this to me. I have got three weeks holiday in about ten days so this will be an ideal time to read this.

Journal Entry 3 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, September 11, 2004
It took me a little longer than expected to get around to reading this but I really enjoyed it it once I picked it up. It is basically a domestic drama novel about a woman at a cross-road in her life who gets to read about the cross-road in her grandmother's. I will definitely being reading more of this author's work in the future.

Journal Entry 4 by talkland at on Saturday, September 11, 2004