Wolf Hall

by Hilary Mantel | History |
Registered by jennannej of Coronado, California USA on 3/11/2023
Journal Entry 1 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Saturday, March 11, 2023
Been plugging away at this for months. Currently on page 350. People keep saying it's brilliant, and while the setting is rather interesting, the jumping around is frustrating! I always feel three steps behind, trying to figure out what's going on!

Journal Entry 2 by jennannej at Coronado, California USA on Thursday, March 30, 2023
This book needs footnotes! I have a very basic understanding of Henry VIII and the English reformation, but this novel obliquely and directly refers to people and events of this era presuming a certain amount of knowledge. I felt lost for most of the book.

What also didn't help, was that the story was told about Thomas Cromwell, and we are given some of his thoughts but not all of his thoughts-- like we were being held at a distance and I couldn't quite make out what was going on or why.

I understand this is a popular book and series, but I will certainly not be continuing. I struggled with this book for half a year, and was relieved to finally put it down.

Journal Entry 3 by jennannej at Little Free Library #52366 - 466 F Ave. in Coronado, California USA on Thursday, March 30, 2023

Released 2 mos ago (3/31/2023 UTC) at Little Free Library #52366 - 466 F Ave. in Coronado, California USA

Released into @NadoLFL today!