The Sanatorium

by Sarah Pearse | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingCassandra2020wing of Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on 10/6/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingCassandra2020wing from Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 6, 2022
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free). If you join, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry for this specific copy of this book (other copies of the book are travelling with their own ID number. Every copy of every book has a unique ID).

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, Cassandra2020, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry then a release note: either 'controlled' if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a 'wild' release if you are leaving it somewhere hoping for anyone to catch.

Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 2 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 6, 2022
The Sanatorium by Sarah Pearse - ok but not my thing

This had so much promise. Guests cut off in an alpine hotel with a murderer on the loose, sounded just my thing. Not cosy, but atmospheric.

Initially it was, although it didn't help that our detective shared my horror of being in a room with a big glass window when it's dark outside and light inside. Totally creeped me out, but I got past that. Then the murders started and Elin Walker finds herself the only 'qualified' person to investigate...with the aid of the Swiss police at the end of the phone. Somehow she must solve the crime, protect the guests and deal with her personal and family issues.

Again, the premise sounds great. Now I know we all suspend our disbelief when reading crime fiction. Nowhere has the number of murders and serial killers that we read about. But this one was just bizarre for me. I'm not even sure why I bothered finishing it. Certainly, at one point, I started a parallel read while I considered whether it would be my first DNF of the year (first for a few years actually), but I persevered.

I know her new book is out and a friend offered to lend it to me (which prompted my reading this now in the first place) but I'm afraid I'll not be taking up the offer. This just wasn't my thing.

NB For me it was probably a two star, but I've upgraded it because for another reader it would be a better book.

Released 3 mos ago (10/7/2022 UTC) at The Glencorse Centre ✔️ in Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!

Journal Entry 4 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 25, 2022
Retrieved from obcz

Journal Entry 5 by wingCassandra2020wing at Little Free Library - Roslin in Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, November 26, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (11/26/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library - Roslin in Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Journal Entry 6 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 14, 2023
Retrieved from lfl