Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas

by Russell Hoban | Children's Books | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 9780819304049 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/27/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, September 27, 2022
This slim hardcover is from several crates' worth of books that I got at New Searles Elementary School, where they were being given away. (The book inspired this 1977 TV-movie.)

The story has something of a twist on O. Henry's classic "Gifts of the Magi"; in O. Henry's tale, two people each give up a prized possession of their own to afford a gift for the other. In this book, Emmet and his mother each damage a possession of the *other's* in order to try and win a prize - with which to buy presents, of course. Luckily, things work out, though not in the way our protagonists had hoped.

[There's a TV Tropes page about the book and the film, with some entertaining tidbits. ]

Released 1 mo ago (12/5/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, Maple St. and Falcon Ridge in Milford, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it! (There are some sheep and chickens in the pens beyond the LFL, and some of those sheep were very, very vocal about my presence!)

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2022 Decemberish challenge. ***