The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

by Stieg Larsson | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingMelydiawing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 7/25/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingMelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, July 25, 2022
Leftover after a Heart of Maryland chorus book exchange. I read another copy of this years ago and this is what I had to say then:

Mikael Blomkvist, fresh from a libel conviction, has stepped down from the editor’s desk of the magazine he founded, Millenium. Shortly thereafter, Swedish industry tycoon Henrik Vanger hires him to research the disappearance of his niece Harriet nearly 40 years before. Meanwhile, 20-something antisocial genius Lisbeth Salander is slowly attempting to put her own life together. Eventually the two meet and begin working together on the case. The plot is complicated, with almost too many Vangers to keep track, but I definitely enjoyed it. I felt the suspense and was saddened by the sad parts and cheered at the victories of the Good Guys. I learned that I know pretty much nothing about Sweden and Swedish history, and was a little concerned at how misogynistic the society is portrayed. There was quite a bit of graphic rape, murder, and mutilation, to the point where some of it felt rather gratuitous. (Likewise with Blomkvist’s sex life: does he sleep with every single woman he meets or just most of them?) Still, I found the story engrossing and just had to know what happened next. More importantly, I have a real affection for Salander and I look forward to reading of her later adventures in the rest of the trilogy.

Registered in Rockville, Maryland, USA.