The Deverell Woman

by Meg Hutchinson | Women's Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by imeretoo of Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on 6/30/2022
Journal Entry 1 by imeretoo from Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 30, 2022
Maura Deverell is a young Irish peasant girl whose mother is dying of consumption. Their cruel landlord threatens to throw them out of their cottage unless Maura agrees to marry his young son, Liam Riordan. But before Maura can decide, she is brutally raped by Liam's brother Padraig, who gloats that once she is under their roof, Maura will be at his mercy - his sexual slave.

Weak though she is, Maura's mother does not let this vicious act go unavenged. She curses the Riordans and then, on her deathbed, makes Maura promise to leave Ireland for good. Maura ends up in Birmingham, after many narrow escapes from rape and death. Even when she makes staunch friends, and discovers a protector in the shape of Aiden Shanley, she longs to go home, stopped only by her promise to her mother. Eventually the wicked Riordans meet a well deserved sticky end and Maura is persuaded to return and marry Liam after all.

Journal Entry 2 by imeretoo at Oakengates Turtley Eco in Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 30, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (7/1/2022 UTC) at Oakengates Turtley Eco in Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom

YOU FOUND A TRAVELLING BOOK!!!!

We are a Worldwide Group That shares books and leave them for people to find like on a Treasure Hunt.
I am very happy that you have found one of my books.
I hope you will read the book, enjoy it and then set it free to continue on with it's travels around the world.
Please leave the label attached, just so it can keep in touch with us and let us follow it's travels, hopefully around the world, and hopefully hear from the many people who find it and help it on it's travels.

If you would like to know what happens to the book after you have passed it on, then do join - it's free, private and fun.

If you decide to join the Bookcrossing group and want to see when and where I release my books then you can see the books I've set free at:
Feel free to add me as a friend on the BookCrossing website.
Please make as few or as many comments about the book as you wish.

Left on the bookshelf outside of Turtley Eco, Oakengates Indoor Mall, Market St, TF2 6EL.
Call in to find a book on their shelf outside the store, look around at the Eco Friendley products while your there.