Pax

by Sara Pennypacker | Children's Books |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/28/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 28, 2022
I got this softcover at a local thrift shop. It's a fable about a fox who's reared by a boy and forms a strong bond with him, only to be torn apart when the boy's father demands it. The story is set in an unspecified time and place, but where a war is going on; indeed, the perils of landmines are a large part of the plot, especially as the foxes have no idea what they are or why the ground sometimes attacks them in smoke and fire... While protagonist Pax does make it through the story, not all the animal characters do, and even the survivors aren't unscathed. And the boy has his own trials, not least discovering what kind of man his father is.

The often-grisly details of the story make it seem more suitable for older readers than the age-group it's advertised for. I know if I'd read it as a kid I'd have been sobbing uncontrollably, and not in a good way! But it is an effective tale, just... harrowing.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book, with some interesting tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, Massachusetts USA on Friday, August 19, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (8/19/2022 UTC) at Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book, bagged against the elements, in or near Fruitlands, while enjoying the museum and the spectacular view. Hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2022 One Word Title challenge. ***