The Great Gatsby

by F. Scott Fitzgerald | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/16/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, May 16, 2022
I got this softcover at a local thrift shop, for another release copy.

I first read this book in high school, when I was definitely too young to appreciate it, and it suffered from that and from the "required reading" curse as well; it's never been a favorite of mine, even after I saw the 1974 film adaptation starring Robert Redford. However, I gave it another try a few years back, and I liked the book better than when I first read it; not that I loved it exactly, what with most of the characters being highly unlikeable for one reason or another, and with the hypocrisy and mean-spirited tragedy and all. But the scene-setting and the language impressed me, as did the gradual revelations about Gatsby's origins, business, and goals, all of which added to the pathos of his dream...

And at the climax of the story, events begin with a trip to town on a very, very hot day, with the description of the heat almost palpable. That kind of heat can wreak havoc with tempers, not to mention romance: "That any one should care in this heat whose flushed lips he kissed, whose head made damp the pajama pocket over his heart!"

For a book full of people whom I wouldn't want to share a bus with, never mind actually get to know, it's surprisingly interesting {wry grin}.

[The TV Tropes page for the novel actually whets my appetite a bit; entertaining and informative, but do beware of spoilers.]

Released 1 mo ago (5/17/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, Cricket Lane and N. Rd. in Sandown, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the Movie challenge. **

Released 1 mo ago (5/28/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library, Cricket Lane and N. Rd. in Sandown, New Hampshire USA

In Little Free Library 126088