Jane Eyre

by Charlotte Brontë | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/21/2022
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 21, 2022
I got this softcover at the Tyngsborough Public Library book sale, for another release copy.

I first read Jane Eyre when I was in high school, although I think I read it on my own rather than as assigned reading. As with so many classics, my reactions to it then were very different from my reactions on more recent re-reads; at first I appreciated the romance and suspense more than anything else, but later on I came to appreciate the depictions of social structure and standards of the time, and the different ways the characters chose to deal with their environments. [But it's still pretty romantic, even if I see it with a more jaded eye now!]

There have been loads of screen adaptations, including the 1943 film starring Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles (a magnificent Rochester) and the 2011 film starring Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender. And there's even a musical stage version; I haven't seen that one on stage but I adore the soundtrack with Marla Schaffel and James Barbour.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the novel and some of the adaptations.]

Released 1 mo ago (5/22/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library - Benson Park - 19 Kimball Hill Rd in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this very warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

** Released for the Movie challenge. **