The God of small things

by Arundhati ROY | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by k-j-h of Geelong, Victoria Australia on 3/19/2022
Journal Entry 1 by k-j-h from Geelong, Victoria Australia on Saturday, March 19, 2022
Set against a background of political turbulence in Kerala, Southern India, The God of Small Things tells the story of twins Esthappen and Rahel. Amongst the vats of banana jam and heaps of peppercorns in their grandmother’s factory, they try to craft a childhood for themselves amidst what constitutes their family – their lonely, lovely mother, their beloved Uncle Chacko (pickle baron, radical Marxist and bottom-pincher) and their avowed enemy Baby Kochamma (ex-nun and incumbent grand-aunt).

Journal Entry 2 by KKslibrary at Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Friday, May 6, 2022
I really did not enjoy this book. It was so disjointed, I was very confused at times which time period we were in. None of the characters were very likeable. It is a story of a multigenerational Indian family. Mammachi, the blind grandmother, Chacko, her spoilt son, Ammu, her divorced daughter, her fraternal twins, Estha and Rachel, and Baby Kochamma the spinster great aunt. There were some beautiful descriptive and evocative pieces of writing throughout the book, but not enough to redeem it in my view.

Journal Entry 3 by KKslibrary at The Corner Store in Mentone, Victoria Australia on Sunday, May 15, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (5/15/2022 UTC) at The Corner Store in Mentone, Victoria Australia

To be released at meetup

Journal Entry 4 by xtrdnry at Parkdale, Victoria Australia on Monday, May 16, 2022
Picked up at the Melbourne Bookcrossing meeting May 2022
Absolutely LOVE the QR code on the back of the book which takes you straight to the journal entry page. Brilliant idea.
I read a copy of this book in 2016, but did not much care for it. I was quite disappointed as I was on my way to live in India, beginning in Kerala and was looking to read works which inspired me. Sadly, this wasn't the one.