A Scurry of Squirrels

by Polly Pullar | Pets & Animals |
Registered by Ythan of Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on 11/25/2021
Journal Entry 1 by Ythan from Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 25, 2021
Synopsis:

Polly Pullar has had a passion for red squirrels since childhood. As a wildlife rehabilitator, she has hand-reared numerous orphan kits, eventually returning them to the wild.

Here she shares her experiences and love for the red squirrel and, with reference to history and natural history, explores how our perceptions of the animal have changed. Heavily persecuted until the 1960s, it has become one of the nation's most adored mammals. But we are now racing against time to ensure its long-term survival.

Set mostly against the beautiful backdrop of Polly's Highland Perthshire farm, where she works continuously to encourage wildlife great and small, "A Scurry of Squirrels" highlights how nature can, and indeed will, recover if only we give it a chance. In just two decades, Polly's habitat restoration work has brought spectacular results, and numerous squirrels and other animals visit every day. Many of them feature in this enchanting and though-provoking book.

-------------------

Received this as a gift for my birthday on 21st of November from Mum and Dad.

Journal Entry 2 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 30, 2021
An easy and enjoyable read; featuring a good combination of learning about wildlife, the environment and personal stories from the author.

I'd like to read more books by this author and I think I'll start with "A Richness of Martens", I've not seen them in real life before and I'd like to learn more about them.

Journal Entry 3 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 30, 2021
Book 75 of 87, 87 books for 87 years.

In memory of my gran (Ena).

4.7.1920 - 22.12.2007.

Always in our hearts.

Journal Entry 4 by Ythan at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, December 30, 2021

Released 4 mos ago (12/30/2021 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Ythan's book for the Favourite Book of 2021 Roundabout:

9. mathgirl40 (Canada)
10. mcsar (Canada)
11. valpete (USA)
12. dark-draco (UK)

Journal Entry 5 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 6, 2022
It’s here and now I’m ready to start on the favourite read of 2021 for real.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, January 17, 2022
The opening pages took me straight back to my childhood in the Thetford Chase where we were surrounded by wildlife including red squirrels and roaming deer. The red squirrels 🐿 have gone, to be replaced by the grey as in so many places. I do remember the bounty placed on grey squirrel tails as many foresters supplemented their living with the payment for tails!
Polly Pullar is eloquent in her depiction of habitat and behaviour of wildlife and is obviously utterly knowledgeable. The anecdotes were delightful and her expression of love for all the creatures heartwarming , but occasionally I found her preachy and a little dry.

Overall a good choice and a surprise pleasure.

Released 4 mos ago (1/17/2022 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Continuing the Favourite Read of 2021 journey.

Journal Entry 8 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 19, 2022
I love the photo on the front of the book. My cousin has been illustrating a children’s book about squirrels so we keep sending each other squirrel cards. This looks like my kind of book. I’ve only ever seen one red squirrel (on the Isle of Wight) and I have very annoying grey squirrels that hang out in my garden.

Journal Entry 9 by wingPoodlesisterwing at Walthamstow, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 1, 2022
I loved this book and the descriptions of wildlife and landscape and the anecdotes of hand rearing wild animals. I’m a supporter of Trees for Life, giving them money every month and I have a virtual grove so friends and family can donate instead of giving me presents. https://treesforlife.org.uk/groves/g7999/ It’s great to read about their success.

Azuki has also set up a Bally Woods grove for Bookcrossing Day and Earth Day 2022 https://treesforlife.org.uk/groves/394821/

Polly is on Twitter @pollypullar1 and she has posted a video of a red squirrel using her as a tree. Lovely.

Released 2 mos ago (3/1/2022 UTC) at Book Roundabout , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This will travel to earthcaroleanne with some books for her office shelf next time I go to the post office.

Journal Entry 11 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, March 7, 2022
Arrived today. Thank you.

Journal Entry 12 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 6, 2022
This book started straight off with memories for me. I have spent a couple of holidays in a log cabin in Butterstone and it is a favourite area of mine. My best memory is opening presents on Christmas Day while watching deer bounce across the snow covered grass. Then she mentions Loch of the Lowes. This is the first place I saw a red squirrel in the wild but you can no longer hand feed them, I had to watch from behind glass. I do follow the ospreys on the live webcam and they have just laid their third egg this season if you are interested - https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/. I’m a member of the Scottish Wildlife Trust and we have recently had very interesting talks on Hedgehogs and Red Squirrels. Unfortunately, I live in the Central Belt of Scotland so I’m not likely to get any sightings in the wild at home. I loved this book and I am very jealous of her home and lifestyle which is one I could only dream of, although I might be less good at the hourly feeds.

Journal Entry 13 by wingearthcaroleannewing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 15, 2022

Released 3 days ago (5/16/2022 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sending on in the roundabout

Journal Entry 14 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 18, 2022
It's arrived, thank you!