Heart Songs and Other Stories

by Annie Proulx | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0020360754 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Atlanta, Georgia USA on 11/4/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Thursday, November 4, 2021
Dropping by the N Bayard Little Free Library in East Point this evening, I found this book and was unable to resist the title, HEART SONGS.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Atlanta, Georgia USA on Tuesday, November 16, 2021
These were often hard to read. I didn't like the characters. Their situations and responses were not pleasant but I kept on because Proulx's virtuosity astounded me. The detail in characterization and atmosphere is amazing. Half-way through the book, "Heart Songs" with its carefully plotted surprise was my favorite; then I kept on discovering more delights. These stories are grim and gritty but Proulx's detailed approach kept me going. Toward the end I began to understand her sense of humor. I have been meaning to read her prize-winning novel THE SHIPPING NEWS for years. I have a copy. I will read that soon.

Released 1 mo ago (12/8/2021 UTC) at Jefferson Park Little Library on N. Bayard in East Point, Georgia USA

I've left this here with a May Sarton memoir, which provides a whole different experience of the part of the world portrayed in HEART SONGS: https://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/13151549 This book and the others I have left here are gifts from BookCrossing, a random community of book lovers. If you'd like to join the BookCrossing story of this book, please make a journal entry at our site with the BCID (bookcrossing ID) on the bookplate. BookCrossing is free to join and confidential. You don't have to join to comment.