The Hobbit

by J. R. R. Tolkien | Audiobooks |
Registered by CathrineB of Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on 10/9/2021
Journal Entry 1 by CathrineB from Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Saturday, October 9, 2021
"The classic BBC Radio production" - an audio play by BBC. An abridged version of The Hobbit; contains 5 CD's, total running time is 3 hours 45 minutes. (CD 5 only contains 4 song, 9 minutes in total.) The full, unabridged version is around 11 hours long.

"The acclaimed BBC Radio 4 production of J. R. R. Tolkien's famous saga

Dwarves, elves, goblins, trolls, dragons and wizards...these are the ingredients of J. R.R. Tolkien's wonderful fantasy, the prelude to The Lord of The Rings, now the subject of a major feature film series.

The hero of the tale is Bilbo Baggins, a home-loving unambitious hobbit who suddenly thrust into what turns out to be the biggest adventure of his life.

Guided by Gandalf the wizard, Bilbo and a company of dwarves set out to destroy Smaug the Magnificent, a feroucious dragon who guards a treasure hoard.

Their journey contains many dangers, and in facing them, the reluctant Bilbo's great resourcefulness and courage surprises everyone - not least himself!

Since it was first broadcast in 1968, this BBC Radio 4 dramatisation has become a classic in its own right , perfectly evoking Tolkien's magical other world and its enchating fantastic inhabitants."

Journal Entry 2 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Saturday, October 9, 2021
It annoys me that it's an abridged version, especially since the website I bought it from claimed it was an unabridged version!

The sound effects on the voices of the goblins are rather annoying. Some other characters do have a voice which is rather challenging to understand unless one concentrates and focus a lot on listening properly.

But it's well made, and the "actors" do a great job of showing the different moods. When the dwarves arrives at Bilbo's home, it sounds very chaotic. It gave me a good laugh, as it made me "see" the scene!

After the riddle game between Bilbo and Gollum, when Gollum went to his island in the lake and discovers that "his precious" isn't there... That scream! It becomes sooooo clear what Gollum feels; the despair, the anger! (Another moment of a mental movie in my head, and another good laugh! I probably shouldn't laugh at the poor soul, but I couldn't stop it!) And before and after Gollum's visit on his island, the "actor" playing Gollum does a great job portaying the anxiousness and anger of Gollum.