Down the Rabbit Hole

by Juan Pablo Villalobos | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1908276282 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingSparkishwing of Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 7/31/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingSparkishwing from Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 31, 2021
Tochtli lives in a palace. He loves hats, samurai, guillotines and dictionaries, and what he wants more than anything right now is a new pet for his private zoo: a pygmy hippopotamus from Liberia. But Tochtli is a child whose father is a drug baron on the verge of taking over a cartel, and Tochtli is growing up in a luxury hideout that he shares with hit men, dealers, and the odd corrupt politician or two. Down the Rabbit Hole, a masterful and darkly-comic first novel, is the chronicle of a delirious journey to grant a child's wish.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 10, 2021

Released 7 mos ago (10/12/2021 UTC) at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Added to the mixed fiction book box

Journal Entry 3 by jules5 at Darlington, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 26, 2021
Plucked from the 📖 📦

Journal Entry 4 by jules5 at Darlington, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, October 31, 2021
I loved this book! Viewing the adult world through the narration of the child, Tochtli, violence and death are not seen as so very terrible as they are stories that are woven into heroic deeds. He is so sheltered from the corrupt and criminal world his father inhabits, the people around him who protect and care for him are seen as kindly figures. We however can sense the terror felt by these house servants - the mute and the lost- as they navigate the fickleness of the father Yolcaut. For such a short book, it certainly hits the ground running

Released 4 mos ago (1/16/2022 UTC) at -- By Post or by Hand--, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Wish granted 🧚‍♂️ Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by WormyOne at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, January 21, 2022
Thank you for a generous RABCK. I'm looking forward to this. :-)

Journal Entry 7 by WormyOne at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 23, 2022
I found this novella a strange read. Describing the world of a Mexican drug baron from the point of view of his young son, it's full of dark humour and horror; much of the horror being implied or related with banality, as a reflection of the narrator's youthful lack of understanding. It's technically excellent but I found myself unfulfilled as I finished it, longing for some redemption from the nastiness of the story it tells and the deceptively empty life it describes.

Released 2 mos ago (3/6/2022 UTC) at Brighton Railway Station in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

On seats, on the concourse.

Good little quick read