The Ladies of Grace Adieu

by Susanna Clarke | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 8/23/2021
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 23, 2021
I'm very hit & miss with short stories but am tempted by the fact that these are (supposedly) "...dark, enchanting tales unfold in a slightly distorted version of our own world, where people are bedeviled by mischievous interventions from the fairies."

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 10, 2021
Complemented by some beautiful pictures this is a collection of stories featuring petulant princesses, vengeful owls & houses that never appear the same way twice. If it wasn’t for a mention of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, I would have been sure I was reading old faerie tales so convincing is Clarke’s prose, really capturing the style of traditional folk stories.

As with all short stories collections I found I liked some much more than others but here there were none I disliked…although at least one ending left me a little bemused.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Random Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 30, 2021

Released 4 mos ago (12/30/2021 UTC) at Random Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Added to the Random Bookbox

Journal Entry 4 by 3vie at Gateshead, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 19, 2022
Chosen from the random bookbox