The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary

by Simon Winchester | Unknown |
Registered by Lukerik of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 5/5/2021
Journal Entry 1 by Lukerik from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 5, 2021
A terrific story, well told. I read it at breakneck speed. There are one or two clunky sentences, but I think we can forgive him as overall it is well written, if a little manipulative. Throughout he uses highly emotive language to control your responses. It certainly gives the book atmosphere and you way well say that this is popular history and we’re all here to be entertained. I did find myself wondering though where the line lay between history and fiction.

The problem is that the book is almost entirely unreferenced. Sometimes he mentions a source in passing in the body of the text, but on the whole it’s a series of unsubstantiated claims. There is a bibliography but without cross referencing it’s largely useless, unless you want to read every book on it.

He makes a number of interesting comments about F J Furnivall. Wanting to know if they were true I had a look at the Wikipedia article. I found some of them repeated there but looking in the sources found that they had come from this book. I trust we can all see the problem with that.

That said, a very enjoyable piece of entertainment.

Journal Entry 2 by Lukerik at Silver Road Community Centre in Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Released 6 mos ago (5/12/2021 UTC) at Silver Road Community Centre in Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom

In the book swap rabbit hutch outside.