Bittersweet

by Colleen McCullough | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by sing-song of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 1/9/2021
Journal Entry 1 by sing-song from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 9, 2021
Do bonds between sisters ever break? Edda, Grace, Tufts and Kitty didn't think so. The four Latimer sisters, famous throughout New South Wales for their beauty, wit and ambition, have always been close; always happy. But then they left home to train as nurses, swapping the feather beds of their father's townhouse for the spartan bunks of hospital accommodation. And now, as the Depression casts its shadow across Australia, they are bound by their own secret desires as the world changes around them. Will they find the independence they crave? Or is life - like love - always bittersweet? 'As clever, compelling and as down-to-earth as its four heroines' Australian Women's Weekly

Journal Entry 2 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 9, 2021
Finally picked this up off my "I'll get to ti some day" shelf. Although the one (well 2) characters drove me a bit crazy at times, it was so interesting to follow the lives of these four sisters (2 sets of twins different mothers) post WWI and during the depression in Australia. seeing that time period through Aussie eyes.

Journal Entry 3 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 10, 2021

Released 1 yr ago (1/10/2021 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Left this on my porch for rureading to pickup as interesting historical novel.

Journal Entry 4 by rureading at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 10, 2021
Thank you for the book sing-song. I enjoy these porch drop-offs to keep reading something new to me!

Journal Entry 5 by rureading at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, October 5, 2022
This was a difficult book for me. I was too impatient to follow the 4 storylines of the sisters, and then I lost interest completely when the author gave historical background of the political events of the time period.
I enjoyed The Thorn Birds when it came out years ago and maybe I had more patience then for McCullough's writing.

Journal Entry 6 by rureading at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (10/5/2022 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Book returned to sing-song.

Journal Entry 7 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, October 7, 2022
Had a warm October outside visit with rureading and sing song. Nice catching up.