Dog Tales for Christmas

by Jeanne Schinto (ed.) | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 074723924X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingSoozreaderwing of Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on 10/18/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingSoozreaderwing from Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Sunday, October 18, 2020
From the back cover: Big dogs, small dogs, bad dogs, good dogs, Australian dingoes, South African bush dogs, town dogs, country dogs - all make their appearance in this outstanding collection of contemporary dog stories. Such celebrated writers as Doris Lessing, Tobias Wolff, Raymond Carver, John Updike, Ann Beattie and William Trevor depict the wide range of man’s experience of the dog - and the dog’s of man - in stories that, occasionally harrowing, more often warm and life-enhancing, will be a welcome addition to the bookshelves of any dog-lover, or simply any lover of good contemporary fiction.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Tuesday, December 8, 2020
Despite the title these weren’t really festive stories. Many of them were actually quite sad. Some I liked more than others but my favourite was definitely Winter Dog by Alistair MacLeod.

Released 1 yr ago (12/19/2020 UTC) at By mail / post / courier, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

This book was behind the 7th door of the BC advent calendar on the Finnish forum. Happy Holidays!

Journal Entry 4 by Saka74 at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, December 23, 2020
Thank you for the book and christmas card!

Journal Entry 5 by Saka74 at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, May 14, 2022

Released 6 mos ago (5/14/2022 UTC) at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Happy Birthday!

Journal Entry 6 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, May 24, 2022
Thanks! I hope I will not need too many hankies when reading this.

Journal Entry 7 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 23, 2022
The editor of this book was bitten by a black & white chihuahua as a kid...

I will be going to a dog show in Iceland in a few weeks time and thought this would be a great book to leave at the show, but I have to jump over the first chapter a) due to its cruelty (trapping) and b) the writer's total ignorance of canine anatomy, when he talks about the knee of the front leg. Agrh!

Journal Entry 8 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 23, 2022
Second chapter: Hello from your grammar police! The story tells that stray dogs gather beneath "my's room" at night time. I'll give up on this book and will try to release it somewhere nobody can find it...

Journal Entry 9 by wingkirjakkowing at Käpylän kirjasto in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (9/29/2022 UTC) at Käpylän kirjasto in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Left the book at the Library of Käpylä, Helsinki.

Edit: 23rd Nov 2022: The book was no longer in the shelf.