The Turn of the Screw

by Henry James | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingNakipawing of Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on 9/6/2020
Journal Entry 1 by wingNakipawing from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Sunday, September 6, 2020
"A very young woman's first job: governess for two weirdly beautiful, strangely distant, oddly silent children, Miles and Flora, at a forlorn estate...An estate haunted by a beckoning evil.

Half-seen figures who glare from dark towers and dusty windows- silent, foul phantoms who, day by day, night by night, come closer, ever closer. With growing horror, the helpless governess realizes the fiendish creatures want the children, seeking to corrupt their bodies, possess their minds, own their souls...

But worse-much worse- the governess discovers that Miles and Flora have no terror of the lurking evil.

For they want the walking dead as badly as the dead want them."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, March 3, 2021
Well, I have read this book before and I didn't know it, because the Portuguese name for it is "Calafrio" which translates to "Chill". It's a great classical ghost story, or perhaps not only ghost but psychological story that reads in an afternoon.

Journal Entry 3 by wingNakipawing at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Released 10 mos ago (3/8/2021 UTC) at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

This book is going out to you as part of the European Wishlist Tag game. I hope you enjoy this one.

Journal Entry 4 by clericalkender at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 23, 2021
Received in the post - thanks :)

Journal Entry 5 by clericalkender at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 25, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (11/25/2021 UTC) at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Given away

So, a teacher made my class watch a recording of Benjamin Britten's opera based on this when I was nine-ish, but I've never actually read it. It's probably about time I did!